Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: Willmac Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 25317  
Subject: Re: 401-K vs. Roth IRA Date: 12/31/2001 2:52 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Your 401k will be taxed as regular income when you take it out. There will be no taxes on a Roth IRA as long as you follow the rules. A rule-of-thumb is that if you expect to be in lower bracket when you retire that you go with the tax deferred rather that the tax-free. Even if you will be in a lower bracket it may be a better to go with a Roth.

You can use a lot of online calculators to predict what your savings and retirement packages (include social security and pensions) will be at your present rate of saving. Generally people stay in about the same bracket.

But think about it. By paying the taxes now you effectively get to put more money in the account. Say you have a regular IRA worth $100,000 when you retire and you have been and will be in the 28% bracket. That money is worth only about $78,000 (or less if it pops you into a higher bracket) when you withdraw it because of taxes (and don't forget about state taxes). A $100,000 Roth is worth $100,000 regardless of how much you take out. So by contributing to a Roth you have effectively increased your contribution by 28% plus and applicable state taxes.

About the 401k having lousy investment choices, my plan does have crappy choices also. However, my plan does have a bond fund and a money market. Instead of keeping my retirement bond and cash investments in my taxable savings I keep them in the 401k. It does get hard when the 401k becomes a large part of your retirement. Furthermore, for stocks that will have long-term capital gains, I try to keep in my taxable accounts because they will be taxed at or less than 20%, which is even better than a tax deferred account.

I would fund the accounts in this order

1. The matching portion of the 401k (usually a 50% return)
2. Then Roths (this could be first depending on the 401k match)
3. Then any other tax free and then deferred plan you can afford.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement