Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (29) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: loopholes One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121572  
Subject: Re: My back hurts- Rant Date: 10/2/2009 7:37 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 17
Your back hurts? My ears hurt. I am so tired of hearing about how much tax we pay and how everyone else is trying to get over.

Do you even realize how much you get for the piddly amount of tax this country collects from its citizens? And I mean you --- not just the purported welfare mamas and illegal aliens and loafers and scoundrels that are gaming the system by taking and not giving --- and I'm not talking about entitlement programs. You think it's cheap to protect the borders? To keep the national parks clean? To pay the military and ensure our defense? To keep the schools open? To maintain the highways? To move mail from sea to shining sea? To lay and collect tax? To run the federal courts, make sure our food is unadulterated, keep terrorists out, gather intelligence, maintain diplomatic relations with every other nation, etc?

Most every time I want to complain about my tax levels, I think about how great it is to be in the top half instead of the percentage who don't pay income tax. It stinks to be poor. All around us, people struggling to get by. Could you live on minimum wage? What if your rent was over $1000 a month? (That's cheap for where I live). What if you had to pay someone to watch your kids while you went to work? That costs...roughly minimum wage. And what if your employer didn't provide health insurance? Do you really think you'd be turning down work so you'd hit the "sweet spot" where you were making "just enough" to qualify for the EITC, but no more?

Why not count your blessings instead of the dollars you think you are handing out to your "undeserving" neighbor?

Money's fungible, and waste and fraud are inevitable, though not to be condoned or enabled. If it bothers you to think the tax dollars you paid were wasted on entitlement programs disguised as tax credits, then assume they were spent on a cause you believe in instead. Veterans' pensions. Prescription drugs for senior. Deporting illegal aliens. Putting tax cheats in jail and their children in foster care...no, wait, not the foster care part. Assume my tax dollars went to the waste & fraud.

Does your back feel better now?
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (29) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement