UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (44) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: davetheDINK Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 885533  
Subject: Your Best Money-saving tips of ALL TIME? Date: 9/20/2012 10:58 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
LBYMers, what are your favorite money-saving strategies of all time that reduced strain on your monthly budget? We are taking another crack at our bottom line after being blessed with two kids...and two college savings accounts.

I'll go first! My working wife and I quickly tired of dinner at 7:30 and couldn't stomach takeout or store bought frozen food for us or our kids. She's now planning and cooking dozens of meals with a friend one Saturday a month, freezng them, and pulling them when needed. We just have to prep a salad or maybe rice to make dinner complete. She is able to buy for two families in BULK, split the bill, and save probably $100/mo in groceries. AND we eat dinner at a reasonable hour.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: ishtarastarte Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867413 of 885533
Subject: Re: Your Best Money-saving tips of ALL TIME? Date: 9/21/2012 12:32 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 7
You could go back and read some of the 867,000+ posts on the board since the beginning. . .

Ishtar

***Sorry, just in a really crappy mood at the moment.

Author: Rael137 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867416 of 885533
Subject: Re: Your Best Money-saving tips of ALL TIME? Date: 9/21/2012 2:14 AM
Using the library rather than buying books/music/movies.

This is especially useful if your library has a request service where you can get materials from other libraries.

Author: Lea77 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867420 of 885533
Subject: Re: Your Best Money-saving tips of ALL TIME? Date: 9/21/2012 8:21 AM
Recommendations: 2
I've been bad about using the library since I got my kindle, but sometimes when I look at a price I think 14 bucks for an electronic version of this, the library is perfect.

Call your internet/cable/whatever companies and try to renegotiate periodically. I need to do this with my internet bill right now. If I don't watch it, it drifts upward constantly...

Author: GardenStateFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867421 of 885533
Subject: Re: Your Best Money-saving tips of ALL TIME? Date: 9/21/2012 9:47 AM
Recommendations: 6
davetheDINK

A new username?

GSF

My favorite money-saving strategies:

- Pay yourself first (money comes out of the paycheck before it ever hits my account).
- Automate EVERYTHING. If possible, make your bills as even as possible (equal payment plans on electricity and gas, for example). No surprises!
- Buy in bulk, cook in bulk, freeze.
- Create a weekly menu and stick to it. Make your grocery list off the menu and shop to meet the menu.
- Keep meticulous track of your expenditures as much as possible, in Excel, Quicken, Mint.com, whatever. Figure out where your "money leaks" are and plug them.

No one can tell you how to save money, unfortunately. A lot of people will say things like "I started making my own beer!" or "I stopped going to the movies and got Netflix instead!"

That's wonderful, except if you don't drink beer or go to the movies, that's not going to save you any money.

Only YOU can know how to save YOUR money, because only YOU know where you spend it.

GSF

Author: sissylue Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867423 of 885533
Subject: Re: Your Best Money-saving tips of ALL TIME? Date: 9/21/2012 10:24 AM
Recommendations: 3
1) Library for Entertainment (books [including electronic versions for Nook and Kindle], DVDs, special craft days for the younger kids, internet access)

2) Very few toys. The ones we did have tended to be "building" toys (tinkertoys, wood blocks etc) We accumulate craft materias and tools instead and do that for our play. The kids are in to "making stuff". Honestly - a lot of toys aren't necessarily a good thing for your kids and I've noticed some parents buy expensive toys not for the child but as "decor" for the child's room.

2) No "prepared" deli type foods, much less restaurant/fast food. All meals pretty much prepared from scratch. The exception - once a month we go to a really fancy restaurant so the kids can practice their public manners. Preparing from scratch need not be time consuming with judicious planning. I have found that the real obstacle to preparing a meal (especially at the end of a work day) is not a time problem but a mental problem. You're tired. You don't want to think. You are too damn exhausted to rummage about the shelves to locate ingredients. That problem can pretty much be eliminated by planning each weeks meals in advance. And then sticking to the plan. You don't necesarily have to make the meals and freeze them (indeed I prefer my evening meal to be prepared fresh since I get the leftovers for lunch as it is) ahead of time. Having a simple menu and knowing you have everything on hand - I can have it prepared and on the table in 30 minutes on autopilot. [NOTE: The one exception to "freezing" would be soups - I always make a huge pot of soup when I make soup and then freeze about 2/3 of that giant stock pot]

3) Don't waste food. We clean our plates at our house. We accomplish this by not taking too much food at one time and if necessary going back for 2nds, 3rds, etc. Any left over food in the serving dish is then incorporated in to my lunch or school lunches for the next day - we REALLY try to avoid having leftovers in the fridge because they just clutter up the fridge.

4) We tend to "do" things together for entertainment instead of relying on venues that charge (i.e. movie theatre, etc); we do purchase an annual membership to the museum which gives us access to the children's museum, the fine arts museum and the planatarium. Since we live a 1/2 block from the museum complex they pretty much "lose" money on us since we more than get our money's worth out of their facilities. Getting annual membership/tickets to certain things can be cost effective IF YOU ACTUALLY MAKE USE OF THE MEMBERSHIP/TICKETS. I have learned the hard way what not to get annual membership/tickets to.

5) Clothes. We just don't buy a lot of clothes. I do have a teenager who is clothes crazy so I turn her lose in Good Will or The Pink Ladies (PLs are a dynamite resale shop). As for "regular" clothes I tend to buy "good" clothes (LL Bean/Lands End) and then expect it to last forever. At any given time I only have about 6 outfits (literally) hanging in my closet and 3 pairs of shoes. {This is a new thing for me and has more to do with "decluttering" than LBYM - if I wanted I could have 50 outfits at no additional cost to me since I have 2 sisters who do nothing but collect clothes and then pass it on after NOT wearing it for a year or two). Also - for those who have kids who wear uniforms to school - I have found that the "French Toast" brand of uniforms is actually better and cheaper than the Lands End brand.

6) The Cost of Gas. Well I put this here because this is the one area I seem to have trouble significantly cutting down on. My 2 children attend schools on opposite ends of town; they need to be driven as walking, biking and bus or not viable options. The best I have managed is to plan any necessary errands to take place in the 40 minutes I have between picking one kid up and making my way over to the other kid's school (fortunately the supermarket, hardware store etc are on the route between the two schools - I sure do have to shop fast though).

Author: FiddleDeeDee Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867425 of 885533
Subject: Re: Your Best Money-saving tips of ALL TIME? Date: 9/21/2012 10:39 AM
LBYMers, what are your favorite money-saving strategies of all time that reduced strain on your monthly budget? We are taking another crack at our bottom line after being blessed with two kids...and two college savings accounts.

This may not help you at all, but what I found to be the best strategy was.... getting older.

You are right-smack-dab-in-the-middle of the demographic that advertisers love. Maybe I should say 'lurve'. You need stuff! They have stuff to sell!! Baby items, insurance, more insurance, food, entertainment; living expenses, education, quasi-education; it's all going to revolve around you now. You lucky people! Just TRY to ignore it.

Looking back at our experience, we tried to buy used or borrow items before buying new. We made things -- I can sew, and DH is able to build or repair almost anything -- used the library, and came here to the Fool to get great advice on credit card use and lbym.

Actually, you are already doing the number one thing that DH and I have found to be the most helpful: setting aside money for your children's education. We did that along with his grandparents, and if he stays at his current college, he will not only graduate with no student debt, he will have some left over to help him start in life.

Good luck! Keep us posted on how you're saving. :)

Andrea

Author: MetroChick Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867426 of 885533
Subject: Re: Your Best Money-saving tips of ALL TIME? Date: 9/21/2012 10:40 AM
A couple things I do that help me stay on track with savings:

I create specific categories in my ING account for items I'm saving up for. When we started getting that 2% payroll tax, every penny of that has gone into my ING Vacation category. When I realized I'll need surgery soon, I started a category for medical co-pays and I'm trying to get it past the $5,000 out-of-pocket yearly max.

I also track my spending and savings in Excel so each month I can see how I'm doing.

This also helps me see what areas are taking a bigger bite of the budget to see where I can possibly decrease spending.

Another major thing is: trying to be happy with what I have, if I'm not happy seeing if a little change would make a difference, trying to get "full use" out of an item.

For instance the iPhone 5 should be delivered to my house today. My old iPhone is a 1st generation, so I think I got "full use" over the past 5 years and can't say I feel I missed anything by not upgrading sooner.

I bought a house in February, and the kitchen is OK, but the original dark wood cabinets make it look rather dated. Since I can't afford remodeling right now, I realized if I paint the cabinents (which I feel I can do myself) and get hardware (they don't have any) it might be enough of an update that I may not even feel a need for a total remodel.

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867429 of 885533
Subject: Re: Your Best Money-saving tips of ALL TIME? Date: 9/21/2012 12:07 PM
This is especially useful if your library has a request service where you can get materials from other libraries.

Just about every library has this. It's called InterLibrary Loan. And the materials can come from a variety of sources, including corporate libraries, military libraries, and a bunch of other places.

Also, the Boston Public Library can download an e-book to your e-reader. It will vanish two weeks later, so you can't stall on reading it. But that can be convenient for people who want to use a reader but don't want the expense of a regular book. And I'm sure that there are other libraries that do the same thing.

Nancy

Author: JamesBrown Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867430 of 885533
Subject: Re: Your Best Money-saving tips of ALL TIME? Date: 9/21/2012 12:16 PM
LBYMers, what are your favorite money-saving strategies of all time?

Have fewer children.

Reduces your carbon footprint, too.

Author: 1DEG Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867432 of 885533
Subject: Re: Your Best Money-saving tips of ALL TIME? Date: 9/21/2012 3:08 PM
My best advice is to not get sucked into all the things you think you need with kids. You really don't need that much. Even less has to be brand new.

There are a ton of free or very low cost activities through community centers and parks. We take full advantage of concerts in the park in the summer. Our city has free museum admissions on Tuesdays. All museums are free for kids in October, and some have half off adult prices as well. Start looking for the resources in your community that will have this information and allow you to plan.

If you use credit cards, look for rewards that are worth it to you. We use our credit cards for convenience and pay off every month. We used to have one that put money towards DH's student loans, but it's really a very small amount. Now that we are a family of 4, travel has gotten much more expensive and staying with friends or family is not always realistic. So I got a credit card with hotel points and DH got an airline credit card, and now we can still visit the people we love but we save a ton of money. If you don't travel much, figure out what you do use, and try to find a credit card (with no or a low annual fee) that will give you points for that.

DEG

Author: Lea77 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867434 of 885533
Subject: Re: Your Best Money-saving tips of ALL TIME? Date: 9/21/2012 3:48 PM
Recommendations: 0
Also, the Boston Public Library can download an e-book to your e-reader

Mine used to have this service but then they yanked it away, so now you have to actually manually move a file from the library to the kindle. No wireless.

I guess I should check and see if they fixed it yet, but it was really nice before that (although the selection was still pretty bad).

Author: WendyBG Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867435 of 885533
Subject: Re: Your Best Money-saving tips of ALL TIME? Date: 9/21/2012 3:50 PM
Recommendations: 8
<LBYMers, what are your favorite money-saving strategies of all time that reduced strain on your monthly budget? >

Everyone has responded with "bottom up" LBYM suggestions, which whittle away at discretionary (variable) spending.

The biggest saving strategy is top-down LBYM, which reduces the very large fixed budget items, house and car.

My favorite money-saving strategy of all time was keeping my mortgage the same as the rent on my (1 bedroom) apartment, even though the real estate agent said I could afford much more house. I bought a small house built in 1927 when I was 29 years old. As my income grew, I did not buy a larger house. The cost of the house became a smaller and smaller percentage of my income. (Omit long story of how I met DH, moved in with him, declined a larger house and paid off mortgage.)

My second-favorite money-saving strategy of all time is careful maintenance of all long-lasting (capital) possessions, from cars to underwear. Investing time and money in maintaining a car can save many thousands of dollars over the years.

Wendy (still driving 1998 Honda Civic, spent $800 on maintenance earlier this year to keep it driving perhaps another 10 years)

Author: sellers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867436 of 885533
Subject: Re: Your Best Money-saving tips of ALL TIME? Date: 9/21/2012 4:06 PM
You can check out books from the library for your kindle :-) Love that!

Author: Rael137 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867441 of 885533
Subject: Re: Your Best Money-saving tips of ALL TIME? Date: 9/21/2012 5:46 PM
Recommendations: 1
Pack a lunch for work/school at least a few days each week.

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867442 of 885533
Subject: Re: Your Best Money-saving tips of ALL TIME? Date: 9/21/2012 6:18 PM
Pack a lunch for work/school at least a few days each week.

I took my lunch to work for years. Everything I saved went into my Roth IRA. Co-workers couldn't understand why I wasn't familiar with the local restaurants, but it was because I always packed a meal.

The office manager was watching one morning as I put my lunch and a snack in the refrigerator, and said, "what drives me crazy is people who eat out every lunch, then complain that they have no money."

And I knew exactly who she was talking about.

Nancy

Author: InconclusiveFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867444 of 885533
Subject: Re: Your Best Money-saving tips of ALL TIME? Date: 9/21/2012 7:39 PM
If you can't afford it for cash (other than home mortgage) you can't afford it.

Your best credit, is your own cash.

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867445 of 885533
Subject: Re: Your Best Money-saving tips of ALL TIME? Date: 9/21/2012 8:52 PM
If you can't afford it for cash (other than home mortgage) you can't afford it.

Your best credit, is your own cash.

I have a friend who used to do that, except he'd buy some big thing on credit every year. Then he'd make a few "easy monthly payments" before paying the whole thing off.

That way his credit rating was AAA in case he ever had to borrow.

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867446 of 885533
Subject: Re: Your Best Money-saving tips of ALL TIME? Date: 9/21/2012 9:05 PM
I have a friend who used to do that, except he'd buy some big thing on credit every year. Then he'd make a few "easy monthly payments" before paying the whole thing off.

johnmoni actually puts everything on a credit card and pays it off monthly, as do a lot of other posters. He just likes to make it sound as though he always paid for things in cash.

Nancy
puts a lot of things on credit cards, pays them off monthly.

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867447 of 885533
Subject: Re: Your Best Money-saving tips of ALL TIME? Date: 9/21/2012 9:15 PM

johnmoni actually puts everything on a credit card and pays it off monthly, as do a lot of other posters. He just likes to make it sound as though he always paid for things in cash.

Yes, years ago my friend finely joined the 20th century and switched to credit cards which he pays off every month.

I do the pay it off every month thing with my Costco American Express card too.

Author: InconclusiveFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867449 of 885533
Subject: Re: Your Best Money-saving tips of ALL TIME? Date: 9/21/2012 10:06 PM
"johnmoni actually puts everything on a credit card and pays it off monthly, as do a lot of other posters. He just likes to make it sound as though he always paid for things in cash."

Correct - we do charge everything - but only to the extent that we have the cash in the bank in advance to pay the bill in full. We have never paid one penny of credit card interest in our lives.

Author: PolymerMom Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867451 of 885533
Subject: Re: Your Best Money-saving tips of ALL TIME? Date: 9/21/2012 10:50 PM
When MDH was in grad school and I was working, I'd cook up a storm over the weekend - in between doing the laundry and shopping. It consisted of a large pot roast, a roasting chicken, or similar main course. We'd have two leftover main courses, w/ a fresh veggie and/or salad through Thursday. By then MDH and I would be thoroughly sick of the leftovers and go out for pizza, or whatever, on Friday night.

Once the kids got old enough (maybe 18 mos. or so) to be presentable in a restaurant, we'd take them, too. They became (relatively) model diners in short order, thereby training them in social skills at the same time.

It's a great sanity-saver, as well as a family ritual.

PM

Author: JonathanRoth Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867452 of 885533
Subject: Re: Your Best Money-saving tips of ALL TIME? Date: 9/22/2012 1:12 AM
Recommendations: 14
Everyone missed probably the most important decision to LBYM.

Pick the right partner.

Which depending upon your preferences, may be none....

Picking the wrong one is really expensive.

Author: Rael137 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867453 of 885533
Subject: Re: Your Best Money-saving tips of ALL TIME? Date: 9/22/2012 2:46 AM
One thing many people (especially me) do is pay too much for housing. If your housing expenses are too high, consider sharing them with family and/or roommates. Yes, even after you become a "real adult".

I have some friends who live in a very high real estate market. When they bought their house they (married couple) went in 50/50 with another person. It has worked out well for them over the years even though they now have 2 kids, a dog, two rabbits, and a bird or three.

That's more extreme but in the same area I knew 2 more families who configured their house to have one bedroom/bath with a separate entrance and had a boarder.

Author: Gingko100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867458 of 885533
Subject: Re: Your Best Money-saving tips of ALL TIME? Date: 9/22/2012 10:24 AM
Menu plan and shop with a list. I used to do this, and then got busy and stopped. My food costs doubled. Now I've gone back to it again an they are down again.

I spend a few minutes every Saturday AM to plan the menu for the next week, and then I buy accordingly. Often I rely on pantry items (dry beans), or plan to use the things I buy for multiple meals (roast chicken for example) so I buy less than I might if I went with no clear plan. I kind of fooled myself for a while that making a "mental list" was the same - but it isn't really.

Author: makasha Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867459 of 885533
Subject: Re: Your Best Money-saving tips of ALL TIME? Date: 9/22/2012 1:25 PM
I bought a house in February, and the kitchen is OK, but the original dark wood cabinets make it look rather dated. Since I can't afford remodeling right now, I realized if I paint the cabinents (which I feel I can do myself) and get hardware (they don't have any) it might be enough of an update that I may not even feel a need for a total remodel.

This is a bit off-topic, but you (MetroChick) and others (everyone else) might want to check out this website: www.betterafter.net for ideas on re-finishing/remodeling/re-purposing household items and entire rooms. I've been surfing it lately and I have definitely become hooked!

Metro, for you, there are some truly amazing kitchen transformations that involved little more than paint and hardware. Some people even PAINT a backsplash on their kitchen walls, rather than tiling one!

As for me, I have definitely caught the bug of refinishing or repurposing furniture and I will be re-decorating our living room on the ultra-cheap this fall thanks to BetterAfter.net and Craigslist.

kasha

Author: Gingko100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867464 of 885533
Subject: Re: Your Best Money-saving tips of ALL TIME? Date: 9/22/2012 8:20 PM
I did this with my back bathroom (ghastly 70's oak cabinets with no hardware - now white with chrome and royal blue pulls that are really modern & cool-looking), and it's enough to hold me for a decade or so. I will eventually need to remodel, but only plan on doing that down the road.

Author: MetroChick Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867468 of 885533
Subject: Re: Your Best Money-saving tips of ALL TIME? Date: 9/22/2012 11:44 PM
This is a bit off-topic, but you (MetroChick) and others (everyone else) might want to check out this website: www.betterafter.net for ideas on re-finishing/remodeling/re-purposing household items and entire rooms.

Thanks for the link, it looks really interesting!

Yup, I've gotten the estate-sale-bug (another LBYM tip).

Another important tip is: figure out what your priorities are. Some people are home-bodies, and would be happier if more of their budget went to housing. Some people love traveling and would be fine with a very small amount of personal home space.

Author: xtn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867481 of 885533
Subject: Re: Your Best Money-saving tips of ALL TIME? Date: 9/23/2012 2:32 PM
LBYMers, what are your favorite money-saving strategies of all time...

When the lender says you qualify for a mortgage up to $XK... find a house for half of that.

xtn

Author: gtw999 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867501 of 885533
Subject: Re: Your Best Money-saving tips of ALL TIME? Date: 9/24/2012 11:55 AM
1. Get a good car, maintain it reasonably, drive it 200,000 miles.

2. cut the cord on cable. I got this: Paper Thin Leaf Indoor HDTV Antenna - Made in the USA! by Mohu. Get about 25-30 channels mostly in HDTV. Who needs more than that, especially when the library has thousands of DVDs.

Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867503 of 885533
Subject: Re: Your Best Money-saving tips of ALL TIME? Date: 9/24/2012 1:14 PM
Planning shopping. Recreational shopping results in clutter and unnecessary expenses. Deferring required purchases too long results in panic shopping.

Author: LuckyDog2002 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867504 of 885533
Subject: Re: Your Best Money-saving tips of ALL TIME? Date: 9/24/2012 2:54 PM
Also - for those who have kids who wear uniforms to school - I have found that the "French Toast" brand of uniforms is actually better and cheaper than the Lands End brand.
sissylue

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Do you buy the French Maid uniform for yourself? :)

it's what I first thought when I read it....sorry.

LD

Author: stevenjklein Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867514 of 885533
Subject: Re: Your Best Money-saving tips of ALL TIME? Date: 9/25/2012 8:42 AM
Have fewer children.

I cannot think of any material good I'd prefer to another child. I'd rather be poor with a houseful of kids than wealthy with no kids.

Of course, since I AM poor with a houseful of kids, the other money-saving tips in this thread are truly appreciated.

Note:nim not saying this should be true for everybody.

Author: JamesBrown Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867517 of 885533
Subject: Re: Your Best Money-saving tips of ALL TIME? Date: 9/25/2012 11:17 AM
I cannot think of any material good I'd prefer to another child. I'd rather be poor with a houseful of kids than wealthy with no kids.

Sure, but you'd be less poor with one fewer kid. ;)

Please note, I didn't recommend having no kids. I recommended having fewer kids. I admit, I'm hard pressed to understand what quality of life can be achieved with eight kids that can't be had with only seven, but I can think of lots that can be gained.

But I'm an only child, the son of an only child, and I have parented an only child, so what do I know? ;)

Author: StockGoddess Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867520 of 885533
Subject: Re: Your Best Money-saving tips of ALL TIME? Date: 9/25/2012 2:22 PM
Don't consider shopping to be a "hobby" or a "sport" but something you do when you absolutely need something.

Enter store - go to what you need - buy - leave.

Author: ramsfanray Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867525 of 885533
Subject: Re: Your Best Money-saving tips of ALL TIME? Date: 9/25/2012 7:00 PM
When it comes to money, be cynical. Just assume that anyone who is trying to get your money will be dishonest if that's what it takes.

Author: Lea77 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867541 of 885533
Subject: Re: Your Best Money-saving tips of ALL TIME? Date: 9/26/2012 2:58 PM
2. cut the cord on cable. I got this: Paper Thin Leaf Indoor HDTV Antenna - Made in the USA! by Mohu. Get about 25-30 channels mostly in HDTV. Who needs more than that, especially when the library has thousands of DVDs.

I got the same thing and it works great.

Author: wasmick Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867546 of 885533
Subject: Re: Your Best Money-saving tips of ALL TIME? Date: 9/26/2012 5:14 PM
Have fewer children.

Reduces your carbon footprint, too.

The planet is fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eScDfYzMEEw

Author: llamalluv Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867648 of 885533
Subject: Re: Your Best Money-saving tips of ALL TIME? Date: 10/1/2012 1:23 PM
When the lender says you qualify for a mortgage up to $XK... find a house for half of that.

I cannot believe what the lenders we spoke to tried to convince us we could afford. And just as you say, it was actually about double what we knew we could afford.

Author: llamalluv Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867650 of 885533
Subject: Re: Your Best Money-saving tips of ALL TIME? Date: 10/1/2012 1:31 PM
It's called InterLibrary Loan. And the materials can come from a variety of sources, including corporate libraries, military libraries, and a bunch of other places.

We have it through two systems (MLS and RAILS), however our library has decided that they do not wish to send out feature films (movies on DVD) to other libraries, so we can no longer request them. We can still get books, CDs, documentaries and television shows, but for movies now we have to go to the library that has them and check them out from there.

Author: llamalluv Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867652 of 885533
Subject: Re: Your Best Money-saving tips of ALL TIME? Date: 10/1/2012 2:18 PM
4) We tend to "do" things together for entertainment instead of relying on venues that charge (i.e. movie theatre, etc); we do purchase an annual membership to the museum which gives us access to the children's museum, the fine arts museum and the planatarium. Since we live a 1/2 block from the museum complex they pretty much "lose" money on us since we more than get our money's worth out of their facilities. Getting annual membership/tickets to certain things can be cost effective IF YOU ACTUALLY MAKE USE OF THE MEMBERSHIP/TICKETS. I have learned the hard way what not to get annual membership/tickets to.

We have a membership to the zoo closest to us, and we use it a lot. We received it as a Christmas gift, and we go at least twice a month. Reciprocal memberships are really good have, too.

We were in Springfield for half a week, and while we were there, we bought an annual family membership to the Henson Robinson Zoo for $45. They are part of the Association of Zoos & Aquariums, so we can now get into other member parks for free or 50%.

Charley and I went every day of the three days that Gary was in classes, and then we all three went together on the last day (half day of classes). We've already "gotten back" half of our "investment". Before I bought the membership, I checked to see where else we can use it. We expect to use the membership when we travel next month to southern California and to Phoenix (50% off), and Tucson (free), and again when we go to visit Gary's side of family in Louisville (free).

Author: xtn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867659 of 885533
Subject: Re: Your Best Money-saving tips of ALL TIME? Date: 10/1/2012 4:38 PM
I admit, I'm hard pressed to understand what quality of life can be achieved with eight kids that can't be had with only seven,...

The whole "buy one get one free" thing works best for even numbers.

xtn

Author: hunnypot1 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867819 of 885533
Subject: Re: Your Best Money-saving tips of ALL TIME? Date: 10/6/2012 3:06 AM
Avoid being caught up with trendy fashion, whether it be housing or clothing. You really do not need the very best of everything.

I enjoy watching shows like house hunters,etc. on HGTV, and I am always amazed when someone walks into a perfectly good kitchen which is just slightly out of fashion (not like the 70's - fairly recent) and cry how "It will all just have to go!"

Really?

Taking out perfectly good cabinets and counters that really show no wear at all because they are not as fancy as what is in all the most trendy homes.

This one couple from FL moving to CA was the worst. Even the agent was like, "This is a beautiful kitchen! These wood floors are gorgeous!"

But alas, this couple had to gut the place.

It was their money and their choice...and they apparently had $200k to waste on a completely unnecessary remodel. But I would much rather spend my money on other things - things that really matter.

Author: Brooklyn1948 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867821 of 885533
Subject: Re: Your Best Money-saving tips of ALL TIME? Date: 10/6/2012 8:53 AM
How true. Nine years ago we had to relocate to Rhode Island due to a job loss. We bought a magnificent 100 year old colonial. It was the house of my dreams. We put $30,000 into the house and sold it a year and a half later for $102,000 more than what we paid. We did not do any massive renovations either. We upgraded the appliances in the old kitchen with beautiful stainless steel. We splurged on a Viking stove which was a real selling point for the house. We took out the nasty old linoleum from the sunroom and replaced it with a hardwood floor from the Home Depot. We replaced storm doors. The house was perfect when we had to sell it and we never gut renovated anything. The kitchen floor was white and although the owner said it was fairly new, it was dingy. I attacked the floor with a Magic Eraser sponge and it looked brand new again.
We sold at the top of the market. The house is now worth much less than what we sold it for.
We will be looking to buy a much smaller house when we retire and I am drawn to houses that have a bit of character and good bones and does not need a gut renovation!

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (44) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement