Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Your comment assumes that your pay stub gives you the information needed to be able to enter accurate data.

I was also trying to be a bit funny. I hope that came across.

My employer combines the FICA and Medicare amounts on the pay stub and does not separate Gross Income into Pre (401k and Flex) and Post Tax amounts.

Social Security is 6.2% of your taxable income. (Gross pay less the Flex payment. 401k contributions are still taxable for FICA) Medicare is 1.45%. So those can be separated out fairly easily.

For your bookkeeping, try this. Record the Gross Pay as income, and record all of the deductions (401k, flex, FICA - separating out the social security and medicare if you'd like, Federal income tax, state income tax, etc.) as expenses. Your taxable income reported in box 1 of the W2 should be your gross pay minus the 401k and flex plan expenses. Social security wages will be gross pay less the flex plan, with the correct max for the year. Medicare wages are the same as social security, but not subject to a maximum.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.