UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (28) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: inparadise Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76398  
Subject: Re: RMDs for Roths? Date: 3/12/2014 3:15 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Your complaint seems to be that you never want to pay any taxes on that money, and I think that was never a likely scenario. You took the tax deduction when you made those contributions to the TIRA knowing that all those dollars would be taxable when they were taken out, and all at ordinary income rates. It was never supposed to be a free ride for those dollars, and you are now realizing that.

My "complaint," if I had one, would be that they changed the rules of the game well after the game started. But I am not "complaining," I am strategizing on how to make things work best for us.

I don't see this as a change at all, and I have to say that I don't see the huge difference between you paying taxes on those dollars now vs. your kids paying taxes on those dollars later when they withdraw them. Either way, taxes have always been due upon withdrawal, and you will have the ability to pay those taxes from that money that is withdrawn.

The change is that the kids might only get 5 years in which to withdraw the money and pay the taxes, rather than be able to save the funds for their own retirement and pull out only the RMD, as was the plan when we took the account out. Again, rules changed, eliminating a perk in the account that we valued, one of the perks we took the IRA out for, and may not have if it had not been there. We can't change our accounts, but are likely to encourage the kids to invest differently.

I am learning a lot from these discussions.

Me too. That is the goal, right? Can't say everything I put on these pages is well thought out, but I know I can count on others here to point it out when it's not.

IP
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (28) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement