Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 3
Your county government may have its own regulations, but I think most municipalities simply follow the lead of the IRS, so whatever specs or restrictions the IRS places on the name you use, you can probably do the same thing on a local basis.

Sorry, but this is completely backwards. The IRS puts no limit on the name you use to conduct your business. If you are a sole proprietor without payroll, the IRS doesn't care other than that you list the name on Schedule C. If you have payroll, you need a separate tax ID for the business and that has to be issued in your DBA name (or your personal name if that's what you use).

On the other hand, the regulation of business registration is completely up to your state, and in some states, local government.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.