Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Your daughter, Blackmare, is a really great person, Biscuitburner! I've saving myself for marriage to her, down the road. <g>

If I can speak candidly, a Brinkmann smoker has some issues that you wouldnt experience with a Weber smoker - It benefits some from some modifications. CJV mentioned some. Some additional tips are available at this link: http://www.smoking-meat.com/modify-brinkmann-ecb-smoker

You might should bear in mind that a Weber smoker will do a noticeably better job more efficiently and effectively, w/o modification and far less tending - It is quite a bit more expensive than an ECB, but you get a much better smoker for your money.

Do I need to fire it up with nothing in it for the first time? (someone told me I should)

I would do so with an ECB - Unlike Weber smokers and grills, the metal is painted, rather than enameled. You need to burn off the toxicity of the paint.

Is there a cut of meat that is good for a first time beginner?

Chicken, Baby Back Ribs or Pork Steak would probably work pretty well - Sausage links should work pretty well, too.

Is Chestnut wood ok to use?

I would think that would work OK. I like using Apple with Pork - Think of an Apple stuck in a pig's mouth. Pecan works pretty well, too - also a nut tree. Hickory is hard to beat for Beef, and Hickory charcoal for a base fuel, with other types of wood chunks or chips for flavoring.

As another note, you don't want to overwhelm the meat with smoke - Don't soak chips or chunks you use and don't keep adding chips/chunks throughout the smoke - A little, at the start, goes a long way.

FWIW,

Bob
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement