Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 52
Your daughter is great because she has a great mom.

I appreciate you saying that.

But you know that I've taken (and am receiving) different types of gov't aide, right?

When she was born, I was on WIC for about a year, while still employed by the Navy, in fact.

When I was unemployed and so depressed/sick, we were on food stamps, again, for about a year.

When we were homeless, and nearly so, I applied for welfare and section 8 housing.

I wasn't able to get welfare, because my VA disability benefits (at $623/mo) were too much "unearned income" for me to qualify.

But I can tell you this stuff about the welfare program I applied for:

1. You had to be employed or in school within a very few months after beginning to receive aide. If you were not doing one of those two things, aide would be cut off.

2. If you were working or going to school, they would help with daycare costs. This was THE most beneficial part of the program. A single parent cannot work at an entry-level job without it. This is also the program that has been gutted to almost uselessness by the state budget cuts in recent years.

3. Maximum LIFETIME benefit is 5 years.

4. If you have 3 kids when you enter the program, yeah, you get more benefit than if you had 1. But you do NOT get more benefit if you continue to have more kids. Yes, in the 80s you did. But not since the Clinton welfare reforms has this been possible.

5. The overwhelming majority of people on welfare receive benefits for about 2 years, then get off the program and never look back. Yes, there may be some that game the system, but they are not the majority.

6. Section 8 housing waiting lists were so long, I couldn't even get my name on the list. I was entered into a lottery to get onto the waiting list. 6 months later, my name was on the waiting list. 3 years later, and my name still hasn't come up.

Also, I would not be doing as well as we are doing right now, with my $11/hr job, if I was not also receiving partial disability payments from the VA (50% disabled rating).

So, when you go on rants about people on welfare, you are perpetuating misconceptions about the programs, and indirectly insulting me.

When you go on rants about single parents, you are insulting me (and Minxie).

Ishtar
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement