No. of Recommendations: 5
http://money.msn.com/retirement-plan/your-adviser-could-be-a...

The prevalence of psychopathy on Wall Street is unknown -- but Hare wouldn't be shocked if it were far above the rate in the general population, which is about 1%.

"It may be even higher than 10%, on the assumption that psychopathic entrepreneurs and risk-takers tend to gravitate toward financial watering-holes, particularly those that are enormously lucrative and poorly regulated," Hare wrote in a comment on his website. "But, until the research has been conducted, we are left with anecdotal evidence and widespread speculation."

</snip>

I don't know what psychological term you want to put on it, but I've long maintained that the financial services industry attracts more than it's share of rogues and thieves.

intercst
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 13
intercst,

but I've long maintained that the financial services industry attracts more than it's share of rogues and thieves.

While I believe this to be true, I would expand that to any area where funds are available and not properly monitored.

Locally, I have seen low-level administrators in school districts and one sheriff's office go to the grey-bar hotel for stealing public money. One of the school districts had 3 people embezzle over $300K.

Recently, a fire chief stole around $20K from his department. For a west Texas VFD, that is a large amount to lose. Personally, I would have given him life for that one.

Charities? Don't get me started there. I am sure you have seen the (name your own- boy/girl/family) that has a (rare disease/massive injury/etc) that needs money on the web somewhere. Too many have been found to be a complete fraud. Our local TV stations mentioned one of these 3 or 4 years ago then found out months later that the whole thing was a hoax. Now they only carry local stories that are vetted and normally go to a local bank.

Greed is universal to everyone. How an individual controls the urge just goes back to their moral character.

Gene
No. of Recommendations: 0
" ...the financial services industry attracts more than it's share of rogues and thieves."

While I believe this to be true, I would expand that to any area where funds are available and not properly monitored.

Right. As examples, I would also mention internet con men who send emails from foreign countries promising millions of dollars. This is a HUGE industry.

Recently, I heard an interesting show on the radio in which the con man was on the phone encouraging his victim to send the money (I think it was $10,000) instead of using it for the operation that the victim's child needed. In this case, the show was an exposé: the "victim" was really a scambaiter and the child was only a fiction -- but the con man on the telephone line was real. He really thought that he was going to steal the money that was needed for a victim's child's operation.

culcha
No. of Recommendations: 2
Charities? Don't get me started there. . . . Too many have been found to be a complete fraud.

+++
+++

So the "former" Lt Gov of FL found out! [the hard way]

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/13/jennifer-carroll-re...
No. of Recommendations: 1

Greed is universal to everyone. How an individual controls the urge just goes back to their moral character.

Psychopaths don't HAVE a moral character. They don't even understand the concept. In a sense, psychopaths aren't really human.
No. of Recommendations: 1
Psychopaths don't HAVE a moral character. They don't even understand the concept. In a sense, psychopaths aren't really human.

Sounds a lot like most politicians.
Advertisement