Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
 
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: loopholes One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121313  
Subject: Re: ot: taxes/options/arbitrage? Date: 8/31/2012 8:30 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Your hypothetical involves sec 1256 contracts, so in your predicate case, you would not have more than a year go by before you'd have to account for the gain and loss on your respective long and short positions. You would have to MTM your positions at the end of year 1, and your gain on the one leg is 60% LT/40% ST, and your loss on the other leg is also 60%LT/40%ST.

I don't see a different result in your second example, but I'm not sure I understand the facts.

If the options were not Sec. 1256 contracts/nonequity options (see pub 550), the 60/40 rule would not apply, you would not MTM at year end, and as another poster mentioned, you'd have a straddle. The straddle rules generally prevent you from recognizing a loss on a closed out position if (and to the extent) you have not recognized the gain on the offsetting positions.

So, in the first example, if you don't have 1256 contracts and don't MTM, and you are closing out both positions in year 2 at a net gain, the loss deferral of the straddle rules don't really affect you. You'd have LTCG on the long call and STCL on the short call. On its face, that seems suboptimal. But, in a closed universe where the only capital gain/loss you recognize is from closing out these positions, you reduce your gain to $500 by netting the loss, and your tax rate on the net gain is the lower LTCG rate. Not too shabby.

In the second example (again, not sure I understand the facts), but assuming you've recognized the gain in multiple profitable trades over the course of the year, all the gain would be ST. If you also closed out the short call/loss position, the offsetting loss also would be ST. So again, assuming the closed universe, you'd net STG and STL; but in this case, your $500 net gain would be STCG. I don't see that as a better outcome than in the first example. Psychologically, it might feel better because you're not having to net your STL against low taxed LTG. But you're actually worse off, because your tax on the net gain is higher.

If I misunderstood the facts, and you actually left the loss leg unrecognized, again you don't have a straddle problem, but you also wouldn't have an offsetting recognized loss, and all your gain would be taxable STCG. That'd be really suboptimal.

Where you'd have a straddle problem would be if you decided to close out the short call/loss position, and let the gain leg ride (i.e., accelerating tax benefit of the loss but deferring tax detriment of the gain). You would not be able to take the loss to the extent of unrecognized gain in the long call, until you closed out the long call.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

The Deflationary Cycle Explained
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement