UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: PoorMelissa Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 665  
Subject: Re: divorce and credit reports Date: 2/11/2002 5:01 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Your idea would have been ideal in my situation, but I doubt that any creditor would have wanted float me a $6,000 loan. However, they'd have been much more likely to give one to my ex, who makes about $20 an hour and currently lives with his mother. You see, when I divorced, I was a housewife who had been out of the job market for 15 years. I had no job, no income, no welfare, nothing but a court order saying I was supposed to get spousal and child support from my ex-hubby. I finally had to apply to have that garnished from his wages.

I went back to school, started doing some freelance writing and within two years landed myself a fulltime writing gig. I paid off my share of the debt right about the same time he defaulted on his. I remember being so angry, thinking that I shouldn't have "wasted" the $6,000 since my credit was left with a big ugly mark on it even after I scrimped and saved to pay my share. But at least I know that I did what was right.

My ex swears he's paying off the debt, but I don't know that I believe him. But as I said, the damage is done and it's time to forge ahead. I recently enrolled in my employers 401k and am doing a bit of drip investing. Today may be bleak, but my future is beginning to take on a mildly rosie shade. :-)

Melissa -- who thanks you for letting me vent. <g>
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

2.1: The Labor Pool Problem
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement