UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TMFBreakerDave Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Supernova Phoenix 1
Mission Team Member Supernova Odyssey 1
Mission Team Member CAPS All Star Motley Fool One Everlasting Fool SN Explorer 1 Mission Team Member Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 597  
Subject: YOUR page. Date: 8/6/2008 4:46 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Flossary will, I predict, become an integral part of Fool Community beyond just serving up everything from defining financial terms to clearing up Internet social acronyms.

I believe it will end up being the default place that Fools build out and store their profiles! At least what they want to present to Fool Community. I also believe our team will help out on this over time by creating simple widgets and functionality like "Your Last 10 Posts" that can be automatically activated on your page (sorta the same way that Flossary pages now can -- with the hyperlinking we provide -- auto-connect to the recent Fool articles using that term).

So: Get started. Start your own page. Add stuff. I started mine. Yeah, it's lame, but it's a wiki! It's a start. That's the point.

Your page-ishly,

David
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFBreakerDave Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Supernova Phoenix 1
Mission Team Member CAPS All Star Motley Fool One Everlasting Fool SN Explorer 1 Mission Team Member Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 186 of 597
Subject: Re: YOUR page. Date: 8/6/2008 4:47 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
P.S. I forgot to mention, you can click on your name (red hyperlinked) in, say, our Top Flossers readout or the Recent Edits list (if you made one) to get started building.

Author: TMFGebinr Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Supernova Phoenix 1
Mission Team Member CAPS All Star SC1 Red Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 188 of 597
Subject: Re: YOUR page. Date: 8/6/2008 4:49 PM
Way ahead of you. :-)

Cheers,
Jim

Mission Team Member CAPS All Star Motley Fool One Everlasting Fool SN Explorer 1 Mission Team Member Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 189 of 597
Subject: Re: YOUR page. Date: 8/6/2008 5:03 PM
OK, OK, Jim, but if you're going to maintain your own page, spell "biochemistry" right! ;)

--David

P.S. Good point -- a quick look at whose name is blue in the Top Flossers full listing shows that several of you Flossmaniacs (in which I include myself) have been doin' the page thang. :) Awesome.

Mission Team Member CAPS All Star Motley Fool One Everlasting Fool SN Explorer 1 Mission Team Member Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 190 of 597
Subject: Re: YOUR page. Date: 8/6/2008 5:04 PM
By the way, Jeremy et al., I should be able to type in "gebinr" in the search box and be shown Jim's page. Doesn't work right now.

Also, just want to agree with previous sentiment that "User:" needs to become "Fool:".....

Author: TMFMoby Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 191 of 597
Subject: Re: YOUR page. Date: 8/6/2008 9:24 PM
Recommendations: 1
In the coming weeks, we will be making a standard template for User...err Fool pages. This will allow Fools to easily add information about themselves similar to the board profile page now. Then users will be able to remix that into whatever they see fit for their area. That way FleaBagger can have his profile picture of a dog, and I can have a picture of a whale (or whatever) in a similar place on the page.
Not that I don't love where the pup is now, FB :)
http://wiki.fool.com/wiki/User:FleaBagger

By the way, Jeremy et al., I should be able to type in "gebinr" in the search box and be shown Jim's page. Doesn't work right now.

In the next few months, we'll likely be moving pages to sections of the site to fit into neat top-level categories: companies, people, terms, and others including Fools. Then we will have our search query all of these sections by default, not unlike the new CAPS search. Of course the long-term goal is to have CAPS, Fool.com, and Flossary search all work together.

Now you've guilted me into making my page. I'll post the link here to further guilt myself:
http://wiki.fool.com/wiki/User:TMFMoby

Jeremy

Author: havefunsaving Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Ticker Guide Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 193 of 597
Subject: Re: YOUR page. Date: 8/7/2008 2:41 AM
So: Get started. Start your own page. Add stuff.

I started one!

I have a question or two. Do we have a target date for going "public" with Flossary? Is it anticipated that it will be accessible only to Fools who are logged in through TMF? Or is it expected to become the publicly accessed "go-to" sight for financial info, such as investopedia, wikipedia, etc.?

I can easily see this becoming the top page on a Google search of various terms and articles dealing with investing and finance.

BTW... for anyone interested, I'd love for you to take a look at the Fool slang page and let me know what you think. I've only just begun to populate it with information, and I realize that it's just another page to be edited, etc., but it's kind of my pet project. And don't worry about offending me by making edits. Although, you might want to be prepared for me to possibly re-edit back to the original if I like mine better! Dueling editors, anyone? :o)

I found what looks like it might be a cool website while doing a little research. It's AcronymFinder.com. Is this something that we would want to embed in the page for those interested in researching beyond acronyms used on Fool discussion boards? Or are we keeping links to Fool pages & sites?

I'll be heading out of town tomorrow, returning Sunday night. And then between a special project at work that will take my evenings for awhile, a friend coming in from out of town, etc., I don't think I'll be able to do much on Flossary for awhile. EXCEPT, hopefully, come up with an alternate name. :o)

I'll be thinking about that one while I go about my days.

I hate to leave, I'm having so much fun working on this project. And I've barely begun to scratch the surface! But I'm having a blast doing it. And I'm learning so much, too.

Thanks again for inviting me to share in the fun.

Best regards,
Kathie

Author: havefunsaving Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Ticker Guide Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 194 of 597
Subject: Re: YOUR page. Date: 8/7/2008 6:57 AM
Further question:

In keeping with the concept of objective information on Flossary pages, do I need to go back and re-do my own "Fool" page by writing it in the third person as if someone else wrote about me?

I just wrote a little something in the first person (a manner to which I have become accustomed after long years of practice), but after I thought about it, I realized I may have done it all wrong.

Kindly note that Kathie is a person who would be most interested to learn if this is a concept that must be maintained at all times on Flossary pages... OR... may she deviate on her personal page by writing it in a subjective (and first-person) manner?

If those in authority and power would be so kind as to inform her of such, she would be eternally grateful.

Best regards,
Kathie

Author: TMFGebinr Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Supernova Phoenix 1
Mission Team Member CAPS All Star SC1 Red Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 195 of 597
Subject: Re: YOUR page. Date: 8/7/2008 7:56 AM
spell "biochemistry" right!

Picky, picky.

Author: TMFMoby Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 196 of 597
Subject: Re: YOUR page. Date: 8/7/2008 11:05 AM
Do we have a target date for going "public" with Flossary?
It largely depends on how our content progresses. We're thinking sometime late this year.

Is it anticipated that it will be accessible only to Fools who are logged in through TMF? Or is it expected to become the publicly accessed "go-to" sight for financial info
It will be open for all to read. It will only be editable by selected-Fools which we think makes it much more reliable than other wikis.

Or are we keeping links to Fool pages & sites?
Feel free to link to the resources you find most useful and accurate. We trust your judgment!
Fool articles are looked at by a minimum of three people before they are published so I personally have the greatest faith in them.

I don't think I'll be able to do much on Flossary for awhile.
Come back soon!

EXCEPT, hopefully, come up with an alternate name.
Bring it on.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement