Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Eldrehad Big gold star, 5000 posts CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1219  
Subject: Re: Hasbro shuts down its retail stores. Date: 1/5/2004 5:22 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
Your perspective is, as usual, well stated and appreciated.

Thank you for the kind words. :-)

Do you own shares? And if so, what's your cost and what's your goal with this one?

I do own shares. I took a position at $12.00 in January of last year, and doubled it at $15.79 in May of last year, so my total basis (not counting transaction costs) is about $13.90 (not counting trasaction costs is fair in my case, as the dividends along the way have pretty much offset them). I just did a 'back of the envelope' calculation of my personal CAGR for Hasbro (considering the two different investments, and the size and timing of each) and figure my rate of return at about 70%/year so far, so not bad for one year to say the least.

My original goal was (hopefully) a double from my original $12 within about three years on the short side (for a CAGR of about 26%) and five years on the long side (for a CAGR of about 15%). With regard to the doubling of my position, while I was originally thinking 3 to 5 years to get to 'fair' value, after a 30% or so rise in less than six months it looked to me as if 'Wall Street' was catching on (and it was this 'catching on' I was waiting for) sooner rather than later. Again, since it was the 'catching on' I was waiting for, and since it looked like it was happening (even more quickly than I'd originally hoped), I doubled. To use a surfing analogy (I'm a native Californian, even though I've never surfed), I was waiting for the 'wave', and once I thought I saw it (the quick 30% rise), I decided to paddle a bit faster to maximize it (the double of my position). Make no mistake, I am not a market timer as market timing is outside my circle of competence. My original investing hypothesis suggested that Hasbro was undervalued, and that 'someday' fair value would be realized - the quick gain in a short time simply told me that the 'someday' might be happening sooner rather than later.

I've been toying with the idea of at least locking in some gains and selling half my position (as we've been flirting with the double from $12 for a little while now). I haven't seen anything to date that would lead me to believe that Habro is worth any less than my original goal of $24 in 3-5 years, so even if the upside is largely gone, I don't see any significant downside, so am in no hurry to sell. That doesn't mean I don't think we can go down from here, we certainly can. What it means, at least for me, is that even if we do hit a 'bump' in the road, I've no reason (so far) to think my goal of $24 unreasonable - so if we do hit a bump in the road, it'll just mean I have to wait a little longer - no big deal. I'm therefore willing to sit tight and not make any 'moves' until after I've seen the next quarterly release.

So in summary, to answer your questions succintly, I do own shares, my average cost is $13.90, and my original goal was $24/share in the 2006-7 timeframe. The run-up ahead of schedule has necessitated re-evaluating said goal, and I'm awaiting the next release (the one for the quarter in which 'everything' happens for Hasbro) before conducting said re-evaluation.

Regards,

Eldrehad

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

2.1: The Labor Pool Problem
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement