No. of Recommendations: 7
Your profile doesn't say, so let me guess that you're 35. And let me guess that you put away $10,000 a year into your managed account. (7.5% is OK, except the market has been doing better than 10% since 2008.)

As for those expenses, let's play out the string. That $10,000 a year, if it returns the long-term historical average of 6.5% over the next 30 years (the time you retire) you would have accumulated $986,000 in your account. If you get that $6.5%, minus the 1.5% fee (now add back in a passive index fund fee of around 0.4%, meaning the change is 1.1%), you would have $798,600.

Again; higher fee = $986,000
Again; lower fee = $798,600

That "extra" 1% can really make a difference. Of course if it's producing better than average results, great. Sadly, more than 90% of funds don't, because they can't beat the fee. And they're trading so much they can't beat the trading costs. And you end up with more capital gains because they're trading far more frequently than a passive fund like an index fund or an ETF.

Stare at the numbers again. Would you rather have an extra $200,000 when you retire, or would you rather your stock broker have it?

I'm sure my made-up numbers are just that, made-up. Plug in the right ones here:

http://www.moneychimp.com/calculator/compound_interest_calcu...

Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement