Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Your six year old daughter will need to file an income tax return (you file for her), or you will need to claim her income on your return, if she has over $700 in taxable income for the year (year 2000 numbers). The first $700 is not taxed, the next $700 is taxed at 15%, and the remainder is taxed at your tax rate, even if she files her own return.

That's the basics. See a tax professional for details (support your local tax pro!!) Hope this helps. (This is U.S. tax stuff, in case you're from out of the U.S. and think I'm nuts.)
Print the post  


When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.