Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Your state of residence has no impact on your federal filing in this instance. Their is a form you can file to advise the IRS of a change of address, however I would merely file using your new address on your 1040ez.

For state tax purposes, you will need to file as a partial year resident of both CA and MA. You would pay tax on your MA wages to MA and on your CA wages to CA. The instructions and relevant state forms should guide you through the calculation for allocating other items of income.

If you consult the websites of the state taxing authorities, you should be able to obtain the forms you need.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.