Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (38) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: captainccs Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19392  
Subject: Re: INTC: Value stock? Date: 11/17/2012 9:09 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
Your takeaway from the Fool blog post is flawed in its understanding regarding the competitive distinctions between Intel and ARMH.

putnid

I could say the same about your post but that would only get us into a religious war which neither one of us needs. LOL

ARM and x86 architectures are both decades old but neither company has stood still. Their development has gone into different directions to satisfy their respective markets. Besides, computer processing is fungible: just about anything you can do in hardware you can do in software; anything you can do with an ultra fast chip you can match with parallel or multi-core processing. Suppose someone using an ARM license needs a very fast chip, they could put ten cores on the chip and share the onboard memory space.

A more important factor than raw speed is power consumption in untethered devices. The chip's physical construction affects it but so does the system architecture. Most computational devices don't operate at full speed all the time. One way to reduce power consumption is by turning off parts of the chip that are not in use. Another is to have multiple cores on the chip and to turn off the ones not in use. You could have a 32 bit core for use when the device is in sleep mode and a 64 bit one for heavy duty lifting. While Intel has concentrated on processing speed ARM has concentrated on low power consumption while increasing the processing capacity. Lately they announced a 64 bit architecture suitable for web servers. As Google has shown, you don't need the fastest servers if you have lots of them. Slower parallel computing can do what faster serial computing can to.

At the end of the day all the technical stuff can't tell you which architecture will triumph here or there. You really need to run benchmarks and other tests to find out which architecture is best for your application. In addition there is the business model, not everyone is happy to depend on Intel as sole source of chips. Fool Dirty Dingus called ARM the "kinder, gentler gorilla" for good reason. I believe that Apple is the smartest kid in the room. They traded the IBM/Motorola Power PC for Intel chips in Macs but they went with a proprietary ARM based design for their mobile stuff. Samsung, who makes the Android phones, also uses ARM architecture chips. I can't see any good reason for them to switch to Intel. On the other hand, I have read about several initiatives to build ARM based web servers which would be a direct attack on Intel. I certainly don't say Intel is doomed. All I say is that PCs and servers are Intel's market to lose and they might.

Denny Schlesinger
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (38) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
TMFDeej's CAPS Blog

Activist Investors Unlocking Value at LSB Industries?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement