Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Your taxperson is correct. The reason you want to make this calculation is that not all of your annuity is taxable. You are permitted to deduct what you contributed to your retirement plan. However your contribution must be prorated. This calculation is for your benefit. There is an IRS publication 575 that discusses this and includes a worksheet to make the calculation. See

Keep the worksheet from year to year to track the amount of contribution has been deducted.
Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.