No. of Recommendations: 4
>> The helpful people constructing the poll, worried that you might be living in some sort of state of denial, will help ferret out your racist feelings even if you can’t recognize them yourself. (emphasis mine)

""Racial attitudes have not improved in the four years since the United States elected its first black president, an Associated Press poll finds, as a slight majority of Americans now express prejudice toward blacks whether they recognize those feelings or not.

Those views could cost President Barack Obama votes as he tries for re-election, the survey found, though the effects are mitigated by some people’s more favorable views of blacks.""

How, you may be wondering, do they perform this miraculous feat? Why, it’s through the wonders of technology! You see, there’s a difference between “explicit racism” and “implicit racism” among Americans. For the “explicit racism” test, they just asked people how well certain words described various racial groups. These included things like, “friendly,” “hardworking,” “violent” and “lazy.”

But just in case you saw through that clever trick, they’ll still manage to get you sorted out with a test for “implicit” feelings.

""The same respondents were also administered a survey designed to measure implicit racism, in which a photo of a black, Hispanic or white male flashed on the screen before a neutral image of a Chinese character. The respondents were then asked to rate their feelings toward the Chinese character. Previous research has shown that people transfer their feelings about the photo onto the character, allowing researchers to measure racist feelings even if a respondent does not acknowledge them.""

Their results? There’s plenty of explicit racism to go around, but when you roll in the implicit kind, more than half of the white people in America are racists. So, if Obama loses next week, now you know why <<
http://hotair.com/archives/2012/10/27/ap-survey-finds-americ...

What a bunch of hooey.

arrete
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
I wonder if AP coordinated it with The White House. White guilt and a $400 check is pretty enticing <g>.
No. of Recommendations: 0
Oh, I know it all right. Last month when I went back to the dermatologist to get three pre-malignant thingies zapped with liquid nitrogen, I asked them (the senior doc and the resident) if they could zap this big dark brown benign thing on my left temple while they were at it. I didn't want even a single square millimeter of my skin to be brown.

Since the zapping, the thingy crusted over and got all crumbly and by repeatedly rubbing the crumbles off, I have managed to turn it almost pink!

Now on to the other thousand or so little brown spots that speckle my epidermis.

--fleg
No. of Recommendations: 11
Recommendations: 0

I wonder if AP coordinated it with The White House. White guilt and a $400 check is pretty enticing <g>.

I personally do believe this WH has done more to promote white guilt that any of my lifetime

In particular of late, but really for a while, Joe Biden has made me a little uncomfortable with being white
Now on to the other thousand or so little brown spots that speckle my epidermis.
-------------

Why do you hate yourself, fleg? <g>

As a teenager and even older I tried to do the tanning thing. With my skin you get 1. freckles, b. red, III. nothing. So I gave up.

arrete - pasty white
With my skin you get 1. freckles, b. red, III. nothing. So I gave up.

DW's skin is like that. There is nothing like a Dane. I, on the other hand, am still carrying around some of that Mediterranean genome that allows me to get fairly brown with constant sun exposure. It only happened once, on a trip to Mexico, to the extent that a skeptical immigration guy asked me a baseball question to make sure I was a gen-u-wine Murrican. Fortunately I was interested in baseball back then, otherwise I might not have made it home.

--fleg
As a teenager and even older I tried to do the tanning thing. With my skin you get 1. freckles, b. red, III. nothing.

A touch o' the Irish, perhaps?
As a teenager and even older I tried to do the tanning thing. With my skin you get 1. freckles, b. red, III. nothing.

A touch o' the Irish, perhaps?
-------------------

Some. Lots of Scots. A bit of English, Danish. Prolly German, too. I'm just a WASP meme.

arrete
Yep, those questions are important to answer correctly fleg.

When he axed me if'n I wuz a mericun cityzen..

I said 'Is da Pope Catholic?'

He wern't amuzed.
""Racial attitudes have not improved in the four years since the United States elected its first black president, an Associated Press poll finds, as a slight majority of Americans now express prejudice toward blacks whether they recognize those feelings or not."

---------------------

It ain't never going to end. I know I'm a little bit racist. Not mean nasty racist but I still have some ingrained predjudice. I know I do. I bet black people got some racial stuff going on too. About white people. Like we all got it so easy and all that. We can't dance, no soul, etc.

It's how our universe is made. They aren't ever going to be able to make it go away. It's a "here" thing and not a "there" thing. No matter how idealist people are our universe will never be perfect. It's not supposed to be. Life ain't a bowl of cherries and it's not supposed to be.

It's all part of that "duality and separation" thing I keep harping about.

Art
"a skeptical immigration guy asked me a baseball question to make sure I was a gen-u-wine Murrican. Fortunately I was interested in baseball back then, otherwise I might not have made it home.

--fleg "

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Was it something about the infield fly rule?

Howie52
Was it something about the infield fly rule?

No, he asked me who managed the Yankees in the '63 series in which they were swept by the Dodgers and Sandy Koufax was MVP.

--fleg

P.S. It was Ralph Houk
arrete - pasty white

I've noticed that since I started taking fish oil several years ago, I no longer ever tan or burn -- even though during the summer months I stay out in the sun for hours. I now stay pasty white all year long.
It ain't never going to end. I know I'm a little bit racist. Not mean nasty racist but I still have some ingrained predjudice. I know I do. I bet black people got some racial stuff going on too. About white people. Like we all got it so easy and all that. We can't dance, no soul, etc.

IMHO, prejudice and racism are two entirely different things. It's possible to be prejudiced without being truly racist. I suspect that's all you are, Art.
"IMHO, prejudice and racism are two entirely different things. It's possible to be prejudiced without being truly racist. I suspect that's all you are, Art." - Andrew

It's not a hateful kind of predjudice? Another words I don't care how people choose to live their lives. As long as I don't have to join in I really don't care. Like Rap music and wearing pants down around my butt? I don't see the attraction. It's ridiculous and rap music is not singing. I don't find it beautiful or appealing at all. I find rap and hip hop music painful to listen to for more than a few seconds.

There are just certain aspects of the black culture that I find disconcerting? Like a large percentage of black babies are born out of wedlock. I'll be honest and say that I don't like that. I don't know why it's so easily accepted? It's obviously a bad thing?

I guess I'm just an old foggy. There are things about the young white culture that I think are ridiculous too - like tattoos and body piercings. What's up with that?

Art
Art
I bet black people got some racial stuff going on too. About white people. Like we all got it so easy and all that. We can't dance, no soul, etc.

It's not just some racist stuff going on. Blacks are far more racist than your average white guy.

decath
IMHO, prejudice and racism are two entirely different things. It's possible to be prejudiced without being truly racist.

Certainly - one can be prejudiced against New Yorkers, or men, or quite a lot of other non-racial categories of people.
Certainly - one can be prejudiced against New Yorkers, or men, or quite a lot of other non-racial categories of people.

I'm prejudiced against sauerkraut. <grin>
Advertisement