UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (44) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: dsr10 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 74759  
Subject: Re: Roth IRA acct and safekeeping fees Date: 10/5/2013 3:53 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
You've both made great points, gimme a bit to absorb that info.

By conservative (I've probably mangled the usage of that term) I mean going into two ETFs, but absolutely no stocks. I'm not in the position to buy stocks yet, that much I have figured out.

Having said that, what are your thoughts on investing in two ETFs? For example PKW and VB, 50/50-ish (roughly equaling about $1000 or maybe a little bit more). VB from TD Ameritrade would be commision free, PKW would cost me about $10 to buy. Keep in mind I'm still just throwing out my thoughts, not ignoring advice. An index fund has always been an option I've considered, and yeah, probably what I should do.

It just seems that I would learn from doing that. I would learn the fees, expense ratios, how dividends work, watching what the funds invest in, and all the rest. I dunno, long term they seem to be something I could possibly keep as I expand a portfolio. One year of holding those, would I really stand to lose much in expenses? As long as I didn't lose my butt on them I would be happy with what I've learned along the way and be more confident in putting more money into the market. Using the simulators is only teaching me so much, because I don't have the drive to dig deeper knowing I have nothing real involved.

A year from now I would be in a better financial position, I'd also be in a better position knowledge wise; then I could begin to expand (hopefully wisely and "conservatively"), and I'd wait quite a bit of time before I even considered buying individual stocks.

I will look into a low cost index fund more now that you've mentioned it, so thanks for that input.

Thanks again for listening to me babble like an idiot.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (44) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement