Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: DarrylWhitmore One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 123143  
Subject: Re: Illinois Income Tax Rebate Date: 9/21/2000 12:11 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
You've called this payment two different things. I think the treatment of it on your Federal return depends on which it is.

If it's a reduction in your Illinois income tax, you treat it as an income tax refund on line 10 of the 1040. It's taxable income to you if you deducted your Illinois income tax paid on your 1999 Schedule A.

If it's a rebate of property taxes, it's line 21 miscellaneous income if you deducted the property taxes on your 1999 Schedule A.

The letter that came with the check states it is an Income Tax Rebate. So it seems it is a rebate, but isn't a rebate a reduction in what I paid in IL income taxes in 1999?

It sounds like the first case to me, but the blurb from the Daily Southtown in the previous post seems to lean toward the second case, because it seems to indicate only those who itemized are affected.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

A Financial Prognostication
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.