No. of Recommendations: 6
YTM asks: Say in a hypothetical scenario the preferred shares have been "called."

The shares will be redeemed for $25 principal on October 30th.

Putting aside the call development; a dividend is normally paid on October 30th to share holders as of the record date of October 15th.

If you came in and bought the already known "called" shares on October 13th, would you still get basically two weeks worth of interest?

YTM, if you buy shares after the ex-dividend date of October 13, you will NOT receive two weeks worth of interest. We had this discussion on the board a few years ago about a called PSA preferred. The dividend paid on October 30 is for the period that includes the two weeks between the record date and the pay date. This whole dividend goes to the owner that sold before the ex-dividend date.

Let's assume the issue was called for November 15th. In that case, you would be paid interest from October 30th through November 15th. The previous owner still gets the interest for the October 15 through October 30 period.

This is the norm for the called issues I have looked at in detail. It is NOT well spelled out when an issue is called. I had to learn this the hard way on one of the PSA preferreds when I did NOT receive the 2 weeks of interest.

Thanks,

Yodaorange
Print the post  

Announcements

Related Boards
Real Estate Investing
This is a great board for Real Estate other than REITs.

Buying & Selling a Home
Get your personal advice about mortgages, agents, etc. here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement