UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: howardgt One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35400  
Subject: Re: NII Capital (NIHD) 2016 Bonds 10% Date: 11/8/2013 6:38 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
ytm,

It sounds like you analyzed this company in more detail than I did. I just wait for these companies to get into trouble and when their bonds fall into my range (> 10%) and they look like they should survive, I take a small position and start following the company. If I like the story (or the odds), then I average down to a point (we are here now for NII) and then clip coupons. If things improve or it looks like they are on the verge of turning things around, I’m prepared to double down again. But I’m not sure I want to do that with NII. Their high debt sort of scares me.

I’ve read that NII has lots of assets that can be monetized (spectrum, towers, etc) in the case of BK, I’m not sure that our bonds (NII Capital Corp) are high enough on the recovery pecking order to get at these assets. If I remember correctly, Moody’s gave other bonds in the enterprise (NII International Telecom) a higher recovery rating.

But I agree, It’s a growth industry, and they should be able to turn things around. But they better do it quickly because they are running out of runway.

Yes, I hold the Molycorp converts 3.25% 2016. Not much coverage in the case of BK, but they are the first of their bonds to mature and the company does have a tangible book, so I’m guessing that they would be taken over before a default. But I agree the 10%’s have the best recovery coverage.

I also own James River 7.875’s of 2019… now that is a real distressed situation!!! They are trading in the 30’s and it looks like the market assumes the worst. But from listening to the cc’s, I think management is trying really hard to hang-on until the coal market turns and avoid BK. But who knows… “I pays my money and takes my chances”... Isn't that what junk bond investing is all about?

Howard
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement