Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: HarryG Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 711  
Subject: YUM takes a drubbing:-( Date: 11/30/2012 3:36 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
YUM seems to be taking a pounding today, on news that their performance in China isn't going to be as stellar as everyone thought (hoped?).

But is that enough to account for a $7.67 haircut (as of 3:30 PM on 11/30)?

I'm up 38% (now), and am wondering if I should bail or not:-( YUM has never been an official recommendation on any of the premium services, and frankly, I don't remember exactly why I bought it:-) I know it was based on SOMETHING that I read on TMF, but I can't for the life of me remember exactly what it was (or when, for that matter):-(

I know we invest for the long term, but a 10% drubbing in one day is a bit worrisome.

Anyone care to comment?

Harry G
Print the post Back To Top
Author: tangoev Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 705 of 711
Subject: Re: YUM takes a drubbing:-( Date: 11/30/2012 5:43 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
One word for answering both questions. And that is China.

Yum is a play on China, as they expand their need for fast Western culture / food, Yum is there with open cash registers. The last few years have been seller.

Now China slows down from 21% to single digits. See link below, stock tanks 10%.

Need to review the call and results.

Tango

See http://money.msn.com/top-stocks/post.aspx?post=ccecdce4-5e6e...

Author: haywool Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 706 of 711
Subject: Re: YUM takes a drubbing:-( Date: 12/1/2012 7:47 PM
Recommendations: 2
Hey Harry !

I know we invest for the long term, but a 10% drubbing in one day is a bit worrisome.

Anyone care to comment?

Yeah, I'll comment a little. In my experience, I'm not a "professional trader", the daily gyrations provided by Mr Market are to be mostly ignored. A 9.92% "drubbing" might seem like a lot today, but that $7.39 hit may very well be one of those "little daily blips" that we all hear about, and some of us have had the pleasure of knowing personally. Remember May 31 to Jun 1? That was an 8+% "drubbing". Roughly the same thing at roughly the same prices.

With the "fiscal cliff" highly anticipated, there will be a lot of volatility in the markets for some time to come. Just remember, if you can't sleep at night, perhaps you should be in a savings account or CD or something less traumatic. :-)

I'll call this another buying opportunity, thank you Mr Market.

Rich (haywool) loooong YUM (was up 100+% - now only 88+%) and holding

Author: Rollomc Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 707 of 711
Subject: Re: YUM takes a drubbing:-( Date: 12/1/2012 8:47 PM
Recommendations: 1
Yum has been and continues to be one of my best holdings. I only wish I had put a larger portion of my portfolio into it back in 2010 when I started.

I see this downward move as a slight buying opportunity although I continue to see it as somewhat richly valued compared to some other issues I am tracking. GE and Corning have both been of further interest to me but neither has the potential growth story that Yum has been playing out. I expect people all over China, India and all of southeast Asia to be munching down on chicken, tacos and pizza for years to come. I only hope they do so while communicating and watching netflix movies on their smartphones. Smartphones with QCOM basebane chips.

I am a man of simple dreams. Dreams I put my money on with some measure of relaxed mindfulness,

Rollomc

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement