UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: inparadise Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 20810  
Subject: Re: Couple Scammed in Fake Rental Listing Date: 6/13/2014 7:10 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Yup. Wiring money is very typical in Europe, thankfully not so much here in the USA. I've rented via VRBO and Homeaway multiple times a year for about 15 years now, and never had an issue. My favorite way to pay? Credit card.

Eldest is in Europe using AirBnB at this time. He's rented 3 places in the past week...all good. Not sure how they paid, but probably credit card.

Vacation rental owners take on one heck of a lot of risk as well. I thought about getting into the business, but as I monitored conversations by owners decided it was not worth the risk. My best suggestion to make sure you are not being scammed is to call the number on the listing, Google the heck out of the listing to see if there are any spoofs, but fortunately, I've had no issues. Vacation rentals are the only way I want to vacation, and will be doing it for 3-4 months a year after we retire next year.

IP
a big fan of the industry
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Starting a Small Business
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement