Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: RayKinsella Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 196882  
Subject: Zen Date: 10/3/2012 2:54 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
An earlier thread (before the board descended into the horrible rape talk) discussed Zen and Christianity. There has been a lot written about the Zen nature of Christ. I find the topic fascinating. Also, it is a nice, optimistic change to discuss.
Christ would go off in the mornings by himself and mediate. He'd pray and spent hours in solitude. Earlier in His life, he spent prolonged time in fasting and getting to know His inner ministry. I've heard Him described as the classic introvert. He was outgoing in ministry but His quiet, peaceful nature came through in the descriptions of His life. In His words, to be sure, but also in the way He's described in the gospel.
Ray
Print the post Back To Top
Author: NigelGlitter Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183205 of 196882
Subject: Re: Zen Date: 10/3/2012 3:21 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Along the lines of you can find anything on the internet:

http://www.thezensite.com/non_Zen/Was_Jesus_Buddhist.html

Kind of takes your thoughts to the extreme, but an amusing read if nothing else.

Author: RayKinsella Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183206 of 196882
Subject: Re: Zen Date: 10/3/2012 3:32 PM
Jesus spent a lot of time in the temple at a very early age. He would have certainly been exposed to a lot of Eastern thought through education. He borrowed heavily from it in His life and teaching, IMO.
Ray

Author: NigelGlitter Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183207 of 196882
Subject: Re: Zen Date: 10/3/2012 3:44 PM
I agree with that part. I see common themes throughout many religious/philosophical concepts.

Not so sure about the trekking around India part.

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183210 of 196882
Subject: Re: Zen Date: 10/3/2012 7:35 PM
Christ would go off in the mornings by himself and mediate.

???

Between the Israelis and Palestinians? They weren't yet having problems in the 1st century, were they?

;-)

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183211 of 196882
Subject: Re: Zen Date: 10/3/2012 7:38 PM
There was a movie in 2007 that touched on this. I really enjoyed it. It was very different. I don't want to give away too much, but it is mentioned that the man later known as "Jesus" spent some time in the far east before bringing what he learned there to the middle east around the 1st century. No, they don't dwell on that. But it is mentioned, and uses several minutes of screen time.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0756683/

Author: RayKinsella Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183225 of 196882
Subject: Re: Zen Date: 10/4/2012 8:54 AM
I agree with that part. I see common themes throughout many religious/philosophical concepts.

Not so sure about the trekking around India part.

It is unlikely, but a compelling thought.
Ray

Author: lhaselden Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183243 of 196882
Subject: Re: Zen Date: 10/4/2012 12:41 PM
Recommendations: 2
<<
Between the Israelis and Palestinians? They weren't yet having problems in the 1st century, were they?
>>

Consider the relationship between the Jews and the Samaritans.

Author: jimialvin Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183281 of 196882
Subject: Re: Zen Date: 10/5/2012 1:01 AM
Perhaps some of the finest artistic expressions of social protest in modern times ; Machine Gun ( which Miles Davis raved about ) , and The Star Spangled Banner were two that would rank up there with any .

Do you all think that Jimi had the Zen thing going on pretty good ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3pgEV-Mru0&feature=g-vre...

... James ....

Author: bdhinton Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183284 of 196882
Subject: Re: Zen Date: 10/5/2012 8:39 AM

He was amazing

Author: RayKinsella Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183291 of 196882
Subject: Re: Zen Date: 10/5/2012 10:06 AM
Perhaps some of the finest artistic expressions of social protest in modern times ; Machine Gun ( which Miles Davis raved about ) , and The Star Spangled Banner were two that would rank up there with any .

Yes!
I have a huge music collection that covers everything and some rare Jimi stuff is among my favorites. Honestly, I have a collection of his live performances that are inspired.
We lost him too young. Imagine what he could have created at 40.
Ray

Author: bdhinton Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183292 of 196882
Subject: Re: Zen Date: 10/5/2012 10:40 AM
We lost him too young. Imagine what he could have created at 40.

Yes, too young. Hard to decide, but my favorite probably is "Red House". Then "Hey Joe", "All Along the Watchtower", and "Voodoo Chile"

Author: RayKinsella Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183293 of 196882
Subject: Re: Zen Date: 10/5/2012 11:05 AM

Yes, too young. Hard to decide, but my favorite probably is "Red House". Then "Hey Joe", "All Along the Watchtower", and "Voodoo Chile"

I have a Radio One broadcast of Jimi from 1967. He does a version of Day Tripper that is out of this world.

I took mom to see Paul McCartney about 3-4 years ago. Paul told a story of the Beatles releasing Sgt Pepper on June 1, 1967. On June 4, they went to see Jimi and he played the title track. He rehearsed it a few minutes before taking the stage, and just nailed it.

Ray

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183301 of 196882
Subject: Re: Zen Date: 10/5/2012 1:03 PM
.national anthem.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement