Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Is it possible to make a 98 contribution to an ira or a roth ira after filing 98 taxes?

Technically, yes, depending on when you file. You've got until 15APR99 to make your 1998 contribution & I'm pretty sure filing early doesn't affect that cut off date. Then again, if you file on the 15th of April, you're out of luck WRT a 1998 deposit. Of note, I don't think getting an extension on your tax filing also extends your IRA contribution window. It's 15 April or nothing.


PS- make sure you note on the check that it's for a '98 contribution or your broker could assume it's for '99, which would hose up your ability to make a '99 deposit.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.