Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Zion was created by the machines, as were the prophecy and the whole concept of "The One".

Good overall analysis, Kazim, but I'm puzzled by this one statement. If Zion was created by the machines, then why all the trouble to find Zion in the first movie? Recall Agent Smith cutting a deal with Cypher. Smith wants "the access codes to Zion." Presumably this means the codes to turn off the automatic defenses that ring the perimeter of the city. Cypher complains that he doesn't know the access codes, but he will lead Smith to the one who does. "Morpheus."

I take that to mean that only the ship captains have the codes since they have to leave Zion and return in their quest to find unplugged humans. Later, when Morpheus is captured, they inject him with the digital equivalent of sodium pentathol to get Morpheus to break and tell the agents "everything we want to know."

So in the Reloaded, we see the machines are drilling straight down to hit Zion from above and avoid the auto-defenses, which is why all the hovercrafts are so crucial to Zion's defense.

All of this seems like a lot of hurdle-jumping for machines who supposedly created Zion in the first place. What am I missing? I'll admit my mind wandered during The Architect's speech. I kept being distracted by the myriad image monitors lining the walls.

On another note: are you accepting everything The Architect said at face value? What is it about Hollywood that goes to such lengths to make their bad guys evil, double-crossing crooks, but when the bad guy explains to the captured good guy his plan to take over the world, he always lays out the unvarnished truth, even clarifying key points to the questioning hero? On what grounds do we say that the Architect is telling Neo the truth?
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement