UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: blacktreechaser Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35357  
Subject: zions new web page Date: 5/13/2010 10:05 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
They changed it yesterday or the day before, or something like that. I called them up on it, and suggested that is something is not broke, don't try to fix it.

The webpage will not let you log on thru explorer unless you have the latest version of IE 7.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: CClarke7 One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30845 of 35357
Subject: Re: zions new web page Date: 5/13/2010 10:10 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Very irritating indeed.

And beyond the webpage, the bond desk was "unavailable" yesterday so I couldn't make bond purchases online. As of last night, they weren't sure if the bond desk would be accessible today.

Considering that buying bonds is the only thing I want from them, the current situation is a complete failure.

Author: Prophet43M One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30846 of 35357
Subject: Re: zions new web page Date: 5/13/2010 10:53 AM
BlackTree:

I discovered the same thing yesterday. Having to have the latest version of the web browser is a real problem for me. I travel a great deal and therefore the company's laptop is my only method of accessing the my broker's website. Unfortunately, my employer is very paranoid regarding viruses and employees downloading and installing software they should not be. Therefore, the company laptop is locked down...essentially I am a guest user on the laptop....I can not install or change software in any way.

I like Zions alot but they hosed this one up.

Author: brucedoe Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30849 of 35357
Subject: Re: zions new web page Date: 5/13/2010 1:30 PM
Prophet

If your company is concerned about security, you should have the latest version of IE, i.e. IE-8. The increasing numbers on IE largely are to strengthen security. I suppose your company won't listen to you, but you should tell them they need the latest version of IE for the strongest security.

brucedoe

Author: Prophet43M One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30850 of 35357
Subject: Re: zions new web page Date: 5/13/2010 1:41 PM
Bruce:

Regarding security, its far too complicated to discuss here but my employer has their own operating system that "rides on top of windows". Further every single piece of software is custom scripted so we are always running software versions that are one or more versions old. It would be impossible for me to explain it to you but my employer's software and network are bullet proof as far as I can tell. No virus could download itself and run or even spread on the company network. Any executable file or software that runs on our PC's or the network must be custom pre-scripted. I had never seen anything like this until I came to work for my current employer.

Author: blacktreechaser Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30851 of 35357
Subject: Re: zions new web page Date: 5/13/2010 4:40 PM
""Unfortunately, my employer is very paranoid regarding viruses and employees downloading and installing software they should not be.""

You must work for the feds. I know the feeling well, I travel with two laptops. Sometimes I get a funny look from the TSA people.

Author: joelcorley Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30853 of 35357
Subject: Re: zions new web page Date: 5/13/2010 10:20 PM
blacktreechaser,

You wrote, You must work for the feds. I know the feeling well, I travel with two laptops. Sometimes I get a funny look from the TSA people.

Banks are like that too.

I currently work for a cellphone maker. I can install software mainly because I have to for my job; but I have to be issued a security exception for it. We have a custom piece of software that "locks down" the computer. It monitors and logs everything that is run on the PC and you can't get onto the corporate network unless it's running.

It also restricts where you can store things. For instance, all writable external media are prohibited without a security exception. Also, certain software updates are prohibited. Even printing and scanning is logged and in some cases copies may be stored. Even network access is logged. I'm restricted to Windows XP SP2 (not that I mind that) and only certain versions of IE are supported. Fortunately, some other browsers are allowed and only some websites are blocked.

Thankfully I don't work for a bank or the government.

- Joel

Author: CClarke7 One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30856 of 35357
Subject: Re: zions new web page Date: 5/14/2010 8:57 AM
Update on zionsdirect bonds.

Still no online access to trading for me (from an IRA) as of yesterday, but they did take my purchase orders on the phone for the online price which I thought was a fair deal.

Hopefully, the transition will conclude on Monday and bond life will return to normal.

Author: richinaz Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30873 of 35357
Subject: Re: zions new web page Date: 5/20/2010 12:10 AM
I wouldn't necessarily blame Zion, at least with regards to IE. Other major websites are also moving away from supporting IE6. If your company hasn't moved past IE6 it is really your company's problem and they are behind the curve. IE7 has been out since 2006 and IE8 since March of last year.

For example....
http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2010/01/google-to-send...

Google is continuing to kill off support for Internet Explorer 6 in its services; the search giant has announced that two more of its Web properties will stop supporting IE6 as of March 1. "Many other companies have already stopped supporting older browsers like Internet Explorer 6.0 as well as browsers that are not supported by their own manufacturers," a blog post on the Official Google Enterprise Blog begins to explain. "We're also going to begin phasing out our support, starting with Google Docs and Google Sites.

or...

Internet Explorer 6 isn't exactly dead yet, and in fact remains widely used. But in recent years, it's been eclipsed by newer, faster browsers that are better equipped to run the Web's latest bells and whistles. Google Docs and Google Sites discontinued support for the browser Monday, and YouTube will follow suit March 13.

"The web has evolved in the last ten years, from simple text pages to rich, interactive applications including video and voice. Unfortunately, very old browsers cannot run many of these new features effectively," wrote a senior product manager in a Google blog post. He urged users to upgrade to more modern browsers.

Released in 2001, IE6 was the standard for Web surfing for most users until 2006, when Microsoft launched IE7. The most recent version, Internet Explorer 8, followed in March 2009.

Rich

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement