UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (31) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: rkmacdonald Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75779  
Subject: Re: What to do with a losing IRA Date: 11/27/2004 11:14 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Zonties wrote:
...market timing is very complicated (you will second guess yourself a LOT). I think it is more feasible on a) individual stocks, and , b) if you have a lot of time on your hands.

I invite you to read the following books, written by some of the most highly respected financial experts:

'A Random Walk Down Wall Street' by Burton Malkiel

'The Four Pillars of Investing' by William Bernstein

'Common Sense on Mutual Funds' by John Bogle

These books are filled with historical evidence that proves beyond any doubt that it is impossible to reliably time the market over long periods of time. In the 'Random Walk...' Malkiel investigates all sorts of technical analysis methods and effectively debunks them all. He shows that charts are totally meaningless, because historical market movement has almost no bearing on what will happen in the future. All the trading systems that do work, work only for a very short period of time until any advantage is arbitraged away by professionals.

However, for me, i've done very well buying and holding HGs and making a lot of money. I got angry over the summer and got pissed, and i sold a lot of my hidden gems. they are up a lot more now. But i made most of the (potentially lost) money back through daytrading. BUt now since i am back in school it is much harder to do that. So i guess my market timing experience was fairly unsuccessful.

However there is one thing i have learned. When everyone is bearish, be bullish. When everyone is bullish, be bearish. It is not easy to time the market and my results have been mixed. However many have professed to doing it, and doing it successfully. I am a new trader

Lots of people get lucky and beat the market for several years in a row, just like throwing a string of heads in a coin toss. However, in the long term, the law of averages will eventually prevail, and the market timer will lose out to the overall market.

After you read at least Malkiel's book, come back and let us know what you think then. I'm willing to bet that it will change your entire perspective on day trading.

Trying to beat the market is lots of fun, and I do it with a small amount of money, but it is certainly not what you should be doing with the bulk of your retirement money.

Russ
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (31) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Clorox Isn't Cleaning Up
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement