Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
zsimpson:
Are there any goals that go along with FIRE that you folks have? Hubby is retired, and I am basically retired, and my goal for the next couple years is to get a beach house.

I'm not positive if this is what you are asking but many of my (non-financial) goals are directly related to the availability of money and my FIRE date.

For example, I have numerous fitness and recreational goals that I set each year for myself. I balance those with the availability of spendable cash. I would love to snow ski 10 times a year but since I live in Texas, 10 ski trips a year would bite into FIRE contributions.
So I have set other fitness/rec goals that are more doable such as I have in 2004: learn to rollerblade; buy a used kayak and start exploring lake Ray Roberts (near our home); increase cardio workouts to lower my body fat ratio from 9% to 6% ect...

Since I caught the FIRE bug about 4 years ago, just about every goal I set for myself is in someway related to FIRE. I do what I can with the spendable money that I have set aside, but don't dip into FIRE funds.

I also have numerous goals that I would like to accomplish but know that the time involvement is not realistic while I'm working 50 hours a week and raising 3 kids. I have set aside some of them for accomplishment as the kids leave and some more after FIRE.

decath
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement