No. of Recommendations: 1
So we were in Austin this weekend. Went out to see a movie. Went to the "Domain's" shopping complex; it's a "uppity" shopping area. Never been this this theater but it had the right show and time we wanted.

Walked in.....the place was like a 4-star hotel lobby, replete with ultra-modern, fancy couches, interior decorating, fashionable lighting, etc. Artwork - both paintings and sculptures all over the place. I couldn't believe it! Reminded me of a "W" hotel bar.

Walked up to the counter.....they asked if we had reservations. Reservations for a movie? Didn't have one. So they said $19 for the front seats and $29 for the middle/backs seats. I was like whaaattt?!? They are cheaper if you buy "membership". Membership to a movie theater? I said no thanks to membership. Paid $19 each for the movie (this was in the afternoon too!). Would have been a bit embarrassing to walk out because of the price.

The service really is incredible though...very attentive. Went into theater...nothing but full-sized leather recliners.....wow. There's also a revolving plate holder and a button to call for waiters. Very very nice seats. I leaned back the recliner, popped out the leg rest and had the most comfortable movie watching experience ever.

But $19-29?!?! That is crazy.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Ouch...ouch....ouch...

well, you paid for the luxury.....and I guess there are enough yuppies to support it.....there....

I like the dollar theater here...it's actually 50c before six on Tuesdays......

The regular theater is about 6 or 6.50 during the week before 6pm.....

t.
AOLF wrote: I leaned back the recliner, popped out the leg rest and had the most comfortable movie watching experience ever. [...] But $19-29?!?! That is crazy.

Well, if you popped out the leg rest, obviously there aren't the regular number of seats in the theater, so you have to pay for two seats--one for your butt and another for your legs.
"The service really is incredible though...very attentive. Went into theater...nothing but full-sized leather recliners.....wow. There's also a revolving plate holder and a button to call for waiters. Very very nice seats. I leaned back the recliner, popped out the leg rest and had the most comfortable movie watching experience ever. But $19-29?!?! That is crazy." - aolf

Bet it wasn't as comfortable as being stretched out on the couch in our living room. Did they give you a remote so you could pause the movie and use the restroom or walk to the refrigerator and get something to eat or pour yourself a big glass of diet lemonade?

I don't care how much it costs, I guarantee you it's not as good as watching a movie at home.

And sometime in the next few months I'm going to splurge and buy a large flat screen TV for our living room. I've about figured out what I'm going to do with one of our old TVs.

Art
No. of Recommendations: 2
The service really is incredible though...very attentive. Went into theater...nothing but full-sized leather recliners.....wow. There's also a revolving plate holder and a button to call for waiters. Very very nice seats. I leaned back the recliner, popped out the leg rest and had the most comfortable movie watching experience ever.

The next time I go to a movie I'm going to look for the place that charges me $30 for a big leather recliner with a plate/drink holder and waiter service rather than the place that charges $8 for the ass-smelling fabric-upholstered seat with 1-1/2" arm rests that I'm expected to share with the people next to me, no waiter service and a floor thoroughly lubricated with spilled soda mixed with popcorn grease.

Crazy? Hardly. Call it the price of luxury.
"The service really is incredible though...very attentive. Went into theater...nothing but full-sized leather recliners.....wow. There's also a revolving plate holder and a button to call for waiters. Very very nice seats. I leaned back the recliner, popped out the leg rest and had the most comfortable movie watching experience ever."

It would probably boggle the mind to know what they charged for sodas and snacks brought to your tables. Likely $15 mini-pizzas. Can't have regular ones, so probably custom mushroom spinach avocado pizza had tossed and baked at 411.4 degrees...served on a special dish...with silver dinnerware.....

a bag of chips - special of course....imported from CA....about $9/small bag for one...

Sodas? Probably 'made on site'......$13/8 oz cup...

Beer? If they had it? $20/cup.......

no thanks.....

I don't need 'waiter buttons'....... i don't buy food at the movie theaters. Eat before I go.......and am glad as they prices for a 'small coke' are $5...popcorn $6/bucket and up.......candy - %4 for a small box......

t.

You're obviously paying for the luxury. But you're also paying to keep the mom with the screaming baby out as well.

I hardly go to the movies anymore, just a few that need to be seen on the big screen (Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Saving Private Ryan). Last time DW & I went was for The Avengers, after it had been out for 2 weeks, so almost no crowd. But about 5 rows ahead, some teenage mother brought her 6 month old. Really? The expected happened, movie starts, baby starts crying. Teenage mom tries to walk it around up front. Hey, walk the &*((%$&^$ out the front door. Finally, grandmama (who was younger than me) took the baby out.

I'm like Art, I have a 60" HDTV and Blueray at home, hard to beat.

JLC
It would probably boggle the mind to know what they charged for sodas and snacks brought to your tables. Likely $15 mini-pizzas. Can't have regular ones, so probably custom mushroom spinach avocado pizza had tossed and baked at 411.4 degrees...served on a special dish...with silver dinnerware.....

I would think it's possible to smuggle a couple mini-pizzas into the theater in your jacket. Or at least a tub of hummus and some naan. Sushi might be tricky.
"I'm like Art, I have a 60" HDTV and Blueray at home, hard to beat." -
JLC

All you have to be is patient, which luckily I am. It doesn't bother me to wait for a movie to come out on DVD or Netflix. I figure if I die in between and don't get to get to see it I won't care. Not the end of the world. I do have a few good qualities. I'm not a procrastinator and I'm very patient.

I really like the pause button and I like to be in control of the volume. I've gone to some movies in the theatre that were incredibly painfully loud. That Science Fiction one about Mars was painful they had it turned out so loud.

After I drink a big 32 ounce diet lemonade I like to be able to pause the movie and get up and use the restroom and if I feel like stopping and throwing a Red Barron Pepperoni Pizza in the oven I don't have to take out a loan from the bank to pay for it.

Art
a bag of chips - special of course....imported from CA....about $9/small bag for one...

Sodas? Probably 'made on site'......$13/8 oz cup...

Beer? If they had it? $20/cup.......

That have a full-service bar and probably serve high-end food.

When we showed up, they said that a delivery truck had backed up into their gas line that morning behind the building so they did without gas, and couldn't cook. So in return they were giving customers free drinks and popcorn. A popcorn and drink at a theater these days are $10 minimum. So really, we made out OK.
"Would have been a bit embarrassing to walk out because of the price."

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I can stand a lot of embarrassment for $19 a head.

Howie52
Not to proud to leave.
Did you know you can leave a stinker movie before it's half over and get a re-admit ticket? I've done it several times.
No. of Recommendations: 6
Would have been a bit embarrassing to walk out because of the price.

Why? I walk out of places all the time. Sometimes for price, but sometimes for other reasons as well.

Like if a restaurant is out of what I want. I've been known to just get up and leave rather than order something else. In this economy you just can't afford to do that to me. I won't put up with it.

And just yesterday I walked out of Walmart because I got mad at an employee who barged out of a doorway without paying attention and nearly tripped me as I was walking by. I was so annoyed by that experience that I turned on my heel and left the store, instead of picking up the Chobani Greek yogurt I had found for a good price and was planning on buying.

Instead I went to Jewel just a block away and bought some off-brand Greek yogurt I found that was actually cheaper.

You don't want to get on my bad side. 'Cause if I don't like you, you've got problems. ;-)
You don't want to get on my bad side. 'Cause if I don't like you, you've got problems. ;-) -- andrew

Yesterday I got mad at a Safeway checker and yanked my receipt out of his hand when he gave it to me. I've been mad at him once before and am never getting into his line again if I can help it. He's pretty new. It makes me mad just to look at him. Sometimes it is just that way.

It was ironic too because I had been to the eye doctor and before getting into that guy's line I had been walking around the grocery store with dilated eyes thinking how friendly all the support staff and my eye doctor always are here in smalltownville and how lucky I was to live in such a place where people everywhere are so courteous and mellow.
I was walking around a store with dilated eyes yesterday, too! How synchro is that?!
Would have been a bit embarrassing to walk out because of the price.
-------------

Why? I walk out of places all the time.
===========================

I think our AOLF is fairly extroverted. Most introverts would walk out. I mean, what do I care what a bunch of people I don't know and will never see again think of me?

Back as a teenager, my friend and I went to a bakery. [I told you all about him - the gay guy who died]. I got one of those large round thin pastries (don't know the name). We were walking down the street and I started eating mine. He was embarassed because what would people think of the sight of a person eating something that large. I hadn't even thought about other people.

arrete

For this price, the experience better come with a happy ending. Just sayin'.
No. of Recommendations: 2
The next time I go to a movie I'm going to look for the place that charges me $30 for a big leather recliner with a plate/drink holder and waiter service rather than the place that charges $8 for the ass-smelling fabric-upholstered seat with 1-1/2" arm rests that I'm expected to share with the people next to me, no waiter service and a floor thoroughly lubricated with spilled soda mixed with popcorn grease.

Crazy? Hardly. Call it the price of luxury.

You're obviously a 1%-er that doesn't pay enough in taxes. Anyone able to afford luxury doesn't deserve it. You failed the test. Please report to the nearest re-education facility for immediate 'training.' If we have to come get you, it will be worse.
You're obviously a 1%-er that doesn't pay enough in taxes. Anyone able to afford luxury doesn't deserve it. You failed the test. Please report to the nearest re-education facility for immediate 'training.' If we have to come get you, it will be worse.

Hey, there's poor people in Ethiopia who go to bed without even seeing a movie.
"Did you know you can leave a stinker movie before it's half over "

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

DW and I have not been to too many movies this summer and fall. The
theaters stopped advertising show times in the newspapers and we
just don't tend to check the times on-line too much - so we
tend to only go if there is a film we really want to see.
We tried to get to the new Bond flick this weekend but got forgot
the show time while we were out doing errands and missed the last
early showing.

Howie52