Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I am on my 80th read of GorillaGorilla's great post...I should have it down in about a week or so.

I was hoping GorillaGorilla or BruceBrown or anyone knowledgable about the Intelligent Optical Networks and/or the Redback-Siara merger, could elaborate on this excerpt from a January Fortune mag article:

Each startup has its own way of handling different data in a single box. But by looking closely at a single company--20-month-old Siara--you get a sense of the strengths necessary for a firm to stand out in optical networking. Siara is designing six custom chips, each to handle tasks that now require several chips or even several machines; one handles optical-networking jobs that once required a separate so-called Sonet box, while others handle high-speed solutions such as ATM and frame relay. Siara's chips go into a single box, replacing perhaps ten boxes that were previously required. Besides consolidating the existing traffic technologies, Siara's boxes also feature cutting-edge optical technology--so carriers can upgrade their system while bringing on the best new stuff as well.

here is a link to the entire article:

http://library.northernlight.com/PN20000113240000372.html?cb=13&sc=0

My question is basically where Siara does/may fit into the intelligent optical network mix?

As a Redback investor, the lack of mention of Siara in GorillaGorilla's great post worried me a little.

Any insight or info into my Siara question would be greatly appreciated.

Dreamer

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.