Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 12
PB2 and I are at the retirement phase of our existence, and to drive home that fact we completely changed our lives; uprooted from the most beautiful, elegant home in New England to a fixer upper in Fort Worth, Texas. Either we are insane or crazy like a fox. I hope it's the latter.

FW is my home town; I spent the first 35 years of my life here and then lived 35 years in New England, so I'm calling this my 'third act' - to use a phrase coined by Jane Fonda. It's as different an existence (as I had the first time I lived here and in Massachusetts) as one could ever imagine.

Some things will remain the same - I'll get hooked back in to the music scene as soon as we're organized and of course I'll see my family and old friends I've kept connected with. The living will be easier here - no snow to plow, no large gardening tasks, no more 3 flights of stairs - but hotter. I think I liked the cold better than the Texas heat. We'll see.

Dash is in Japan and missed the move. Darn it. Could have used his strong back. He's in favor of it, though - he didn't like the snow and he loves his family here. I think he wants to settle here, too, once he's out.

I've been too busy to get very philosophical about it all, but one thing I know for sure: if I hadn't found the Fool way back in 1998 and started taking care of my finances, I wouldn't be as relaxed about my retirement as I am now. It's a huge gift. I think I only bought one product from the Fool and when I think of the amount of information that has been given to us for free, I am gobsmacked. Thanks, Tom and Dave.

Fifi
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.