Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
- Another woman who hadn't filed at all for a few years. They caught up with her and wanted taxes, interest, and penalties. She said she simply couldn't pay, would have to get a 2nd mortgage but couldn't afford that. Then she started to cry, and it took some doing to get her settled down. Ok, she made some serious errors, and is directly responsible for her predicament - but I think she was one of those women who let hubby handle all the financial stuff, then he dies, and they don't have a clue. (I suggested that maybe she should explore an Offer in Compromise, and referred her to the CPA who oversees this volunteer program.)

---

I could go on and on, but this is long enough. All in all, it's been great! Consider this a warm endorsement for the volunteer programs, both VITA and TCE. If you're reading this board, you're interested in taxes, so give it a shot next year! I'm looking forward to resuming in nine months. In addition to helping with tax prep, I expect to be an efiler as well in 2004 (that is, forwarding taxpayer returns to federal/state databases and processing acknowledgements).

Lorenzo, TCE Guy

We've had some luck in referring these tough cases to the Tax Advocate at the local IRS office. And had one client come to our TCE site to check over returns the Advocate had filled out for her for a couple of previous years she hadn't filed! Lots of tears, but the counselor who worked with her did a good job.

I heartily endorse Lorenzo's endorsement for the volunteer programs! Good new volunteers are always needed, and the rewards are heartwarming! (And the cookies we received from a couple of our clients were extremely tasty!)

Karl, TCE Local Coordinator
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.