Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
… Based on my analysis of our 401k provider I feel the fees are a little high (approx 1.6%/year) and selection of investments is adequate (not great).,..

That is actually pretty high. Look though it again to see if there isn't an index fund buried in it with lower fees. If not I would send a letter or email to the person at you company managing the 401K asking for a low fee index fund. In my 401k there are a number of mediocre funds but they included a few low cost index funds so that the company could claim they provided adequate choices in case the were ever sued over the 401K fund performance(which has happened)

If the best fund choice that you have really does have a 1.6% fee than I would suspect that a spreadsheet would show that you would be better off not contributing any more than the matched amount. The details will vary with your income and your state tax rates so you would really need to do the calculations with your numbers.

Greg
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.