No. of Recommendations: 0
, basically if you are married and filing jointly, as long as the total AGI is greater than $6000 ($7000 if making catch-up contributions age permitting) you can both fund an IRA.

Good! I thought so, but recently I heard some things oabout a contributor having to have earned income, but I think this was in relation to a traditional IRS, not Roth.

Based on your question, I assume you are referring to tax-advantaged retirement savings. Unfortunately, your options are pretty limited. Unless you can convince your employer to offer something along the lines of a SIMPLE-IRA or 401k, your best option will most likely be a taxable account.

Have you asked your employer about a retirement plan?

Well, this is a potential employer I am interviewing at. I like the company and job, perhaps if I take the job, after I get settled in I can bring up the subject.

At my last job, it took me a year, but I finally convinced my employer to offer a matching program in with their 401(k).

Thanks for the reply

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.