Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
-- but lately I have not been able to shake the feeling that I want/need to write fiction stories.

Ah, this I can relate to.

Thank you for clarifying. As I mentioned in my reply to Mark, I can't imagine trying to write fiction unless you already have a desire to do so. It's such a wide open field and there are so many answers to the question, "So where do you want to go today?"

Your first post mentioned that fiction was daunting to you ... why? Because you haven't done it before? Because the field of writers is so huge and the possibility of getting published is so small? So many ideas you don't know where to start?

Some typical writing advice is to write what you know. This, of course, doesn't work for everyone, Stephan Crane, who wrote the acclaimed "Red Badge of Courage", had never set foot on a battlefield until after the book had been published. For some people though, it's a good place to start.

When you're out in public, take notice of the people around you. Get curious. Wonder why that girl chose to wear that outfit today, or where that kid on the rollerblades is in a hurry to get to. What on earth does that woman carry with her in order to need a purse so big? Take a look at what the people ahead and behind you in line at the grocery store are getting. What kind of meal are they making? Something big for a celebration? What's to celebrate at the end of September? Baby food? Hm, girlchild or boy? How many kids do they have? Basic necessities? Just moved in? or just got kicked out? Possibilities are endless. Imagine, imagine, imagine.

Make time in your schedule to write, every day. This works best if its the same time, every day. If story ideas are not bursting in your head, write up some character sketches - some of the people in the grocery store, or the guy who zoomed by you on the way home, tell yourself about them, describe their looks, personality, a day in their life. Some of these may turn into stories on their own, some of these will be great pieces to go back to re-read when you feel blocked (you'll be amazed at how you'll become your own inspiration!), some of them are great for venting or making up absurdly, just for entertainment purposes.

liss
even creativity takes practice :o)
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.