Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
. I'm interested in finding out how I can invest in U.S. companies

Hi Check69

I've been trying to run into you since the last RM seminar you and I both attended - I wanted to make contact with someone downunder with the same sort of interests and problems. Now I have run into this Board there seems to be any number of posters with the same intent and interests - very pleasing !!

I've opened an online account with Datek Online (you can download all the documentation from their site). So far I've bought and sold a number of times without difficulty. I can either get online confirmations or opt for snail mail either way they are efficient. Online trades, buy/sell, are conducted within 60 seconds, usually about 15 secs is all it takes for the confirmation. Trades are $10 US. I wire (telegraphic transfer) funds to my Datek account (it costs me $25NZ for each transfer - obviously larger amounts work out cheaper in the long run) I can see at a glance how much my account contains. They also issue a cheque book so that if you wish to repatriate funds to Aust simply write yourself a cheque which is in US dollars.
There are other US brokers, Brown, Schwab etc - take your pick. One advantage of trading in the US is that you are tax exempt over there - fill in the form Datek provide - from memory I think it is called W-Ben8.
Hope this helps.
Cheers
Harmy
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.