Skip to main content
This Board Has Moved

This board has been migrated to our new platform! Check out the new home page at discussion.fool.com or click below to go directly to the new Board on the new site.

Go to the New Site
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
---In a nutshell, a closed end bond fund may offer significant advantage in terms of convenience, and there may be appreciation available. Disadvantages include the fact that the dividend is not stable and the management fees can be excessive.---

Thanks Cris for a great anology,

My experiences are somewhat different, because of the difficulty of disposing of bonds that have depreciated because of rate increases.

The Closed End Funds have consistently given me flexibility to move with rate changes. In fact, the portfolios since the begining of the year have appreciated more than 10%, which allows me to upgrade the issues.

Granted, this kind of trading was very expensive with full service brokers, but with low cost online brokers I have been able to keep my capital position, and total return much more stable than with bonds.

When the bond market becomes an easier market to trade, this view may change, but the in and exit cost of bonds are the hidden costs not recorded.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.