No. of Recommendations: 7
... likely a boat or an aircraft, too.

During his decade of retirement, my dad has bought a boat, three airplanes, and two Teslas. The boat has since been sold because his hip trouble doesn't allow him to climb around on a sail boat (42 feet, lots of woodwork to refinish) much anymore. And he traded one Tesla in for a new one. Says he'll do that again in the not too distant future. The three airplanes are all leased to the local flying school. He has never flown in any of them. He told me, with genuine surprise in his voice, "ThyPeace, that most recent plane actually made a profit last quarter, even after depreciation and costs!"

The good thing is that he is having fun with it all.

ThyPeace, Dad likes toys and projects. He's running a foundation and supporting the development of another, taking care of my sister, plays dominoes twice a week, and is grousing about not getting all the yard work done that he wants to get done. I worry about the occasional falls, the fact that he's almost 81 years old, that he took mom's passing really hard, and that he needs to eat more healthily. Toys? I don't worry about those.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.