Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
-My son is a dependent on our (his parents) tax return.

-He had $10,000 of qualified education expenses and they were reported on Form 1098-T.

-$10,000 was distributed from a Section 529 plan that was set up by his grandparents for his benefit to pay these expenses and reported as such on Form 1099-Q.

Here is my confusion: After TurboTax asks me to enter my sons qualifed education expenses it then prompts me to enter any "Tax-Free Eduction Assistance" that my son received. It instructs that tax-free distributions from qualifed tuition programs are in this catagory.
If I enter the $10,000 from the 1099-Q ,as prompted, then it calculates that we have $0.00 in education expenses and therefore are not eligible for any of the Education Credits.

OK, I went and took another look at your OP. I see a large part of the problem. A distribution reported on a 1099-Q is not tax-free education assistance. See the discussion of that term in both Chapters 2 and 9 of Pub 970.

I don't know what TT can do for you and what you have to labor through yourself. Somewhere along the line you have to figure out what's the best use of the $10,000 of qualified expenses. For example, you could use $4,000 toward the American Opportunity Credit and the remaining $6,000 in determining the taxable portion of the QTP distribution. You could use it all as necessary to keep any of the QTP from being taxable, using the remainder for the credits, but that's probably not the best use of the expenses.

Maybe after you give TT the correct number for qualified expenses and tax-free assistance it will do all this for you. (It's going to need some information about your son's return since any taxable part of the 1099-Q winds up on his return, not yours.)

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.