Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 3
... new job (not a career, but good benefits, decent pay @ $42k annually...

Congrats, that's great!

Regarding the car, a 2009 Civic is a good car. Since you bought it certified, and given the interest rate you're paying, you didn't get a bargain; but you didn't grossly overpay either. I would recommend keeping it if you can, but that's your question, isn't it: can you keep the car? That depends on add'l info: What would your commute be like without a car, compared to how it is now? What are your other obligations, e.g., do you have other children? Why do you have "huge debt," and (more importantly) have the reasons for that been resolved? Can your parents help, or are you supporting them, or are they not a factor financially? Why are you separated, why reconciled, etc.? Would renting a room again be an option, if you have to choose between having your own apartment and having a car? Obviously, you don't have to answer any of these questions, they're just things that pop into my own mind as things I personally would need to know in order to form an opinion regarding whether it's better to keep or sell the car.

This jumped out at me: <DH's> income is much higher than mine...

If DH's income is higher, can he, instead of you, send the $300/mo to college daughter? Or is he already paying the lion's share, and the $300/mo is your own agreed-upon contribution? It just seems to me that if he's bringing only $490/mo to the table, you might be better off going back to renting a room.

...but he has financial problems that I know nothing about.

Even if you keep your finances separate (to that extent that's even possible when married, which depends in part on your state of residence), one person's problems will affect the other, so full disclosure is important. I suggest that you & DH visit a financial planner, who can review your entire financial situation and suggest (and help you weigh) different options. Try www.napfa.org

Of course, the more info you post here, the more suggestions you'll get here. Take what's useful, leave the rest.

Good luck!
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.