Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 6
https://www.fiercebiotech.com/research/large-genomic-study-p...

<i The NCI-Molecular Analysis for Therapy Choice (NCI-MATCH), a precision medicine study launched by the ECOG-ACRIN Cancer Research Group and the National Cancer Institute, has found that many patients’ tumors bear genetic abnormalities that can be targeted with existing drugs—approved or experimental.

After its inception five years ago, NCI-MATCH obtained tumor biopsy samples from 5,954 patients whose cancer had progressed on standard treatments or was not curable with available regimens. The researchers then successfully sequenced 5,540 and tried to pair their genetic abnormalities with existing drugs, which were either FDA-approved or investigational in biomarker-defined patient populations.

They found matches for 37.6% of the patients. Because the trial was carried out years ago, the match rate may be even better as more drugs are developed, the researchers figured.

The NCI-MATCH researchers believe their findings confirm the value of tumor gene testing, not only for determining the best treatment plan for patients, but also to provide a roadmap for future precision medicine trials. NCI-MATCH currently has 38 treatment arms aimed at gathering further data on patient responsiveness in different cancer types.

Like I've been saying, I think the "precision oncology" and agnostic meds are going to take a bigger and bigger role in the market.

Full text, actually an interesting read with some good background info:
https://ascopubs.org/doi/10.1200/JCO.19.03010
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.