Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
@ Rayvt,

Thanks, I am here to find opinions different than mine, that is why I asked you to comment.

I realize after reading you post I have to have a strategy for when interest rates rise. I assume that IB will raise rates on borrowed money.

Am I thinking correctly on this? If I have 2k in debt on a 20k liquidation value portfolio that is 1.1 leverage. If I take a beating from Mr. Market and I loose 30% now my NLV is 14000 and my leverage is 1.143. This seems reasonable.

If I started at 20% margin that would be 4k debt on 20k. 1.2 leverage. Drop 30% brings it to 1.286. 29% margin seems like it would be pushing it. This wold force a buy and hold forever investor to possible sell low instead of buying low. This seems unreasonable.

I see why 20% is at the high end of the recommendation. It sounds conservative but I have to think about what it turns into when the market drops.

Thoughts?
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.