Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
... she's elegable for the full deduction for a traditional IRA. I curious if she can make a contribution and withdraw in the same year?

Sure - but why would you want to do that? The withdrawl is taxable income, so all you've accomplished is a one-year deferral of the taxes on the IRA contribution. The cost of that deferral is whatever fees and charges her custodian may have on the account.

It might make more sense if you were contributing to a traditional and withdrawing from a Roth. (But then again it might not - my brain is just a wee bit fried at the moment.)

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.