Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 3
... stick the money in an S&P500 fund and don't disturb it for 30-35 years, then, yes, the naked S&P500 will do better; that is, it will accumulate more money--but not much more money ...

Maybe we have different concepts of what constitutes "much more".
30 years, 1975 to 2005, S&P $880K IUL $193K
35 years, 1975 to 2010, S&P $1.2M IUL $251K

30 years, 1980 to 2010, S&P $670K IUL $181K

To me an extra $687K, $950K, or $490K seems "much" more.

Indeed in 2008 the S&P account got hit bad, the 1980 start dropped from $606K down to $300K. Yikes! Whereas the IUL was rock steady and went from $170K to $176K.

But, um, $300K is more than $176K.

should mention Rayvt, the same guy who does serial 30 FRMs at full LTV in order to stay liquid.
Huh???? Not even close. Where did you get than idea?
I do serial refi's at 80% LTV in order to get a lower interest rate and extend the term for a new 30 years. I never do a cash-out mortage, either -- it's always rate & term.
And liquidity is a complete non-issue unless I decide to buy an island.
Print the post  

Announcements

Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
Buying/Selling a Home FAQ

Mortgage Professor
Offsite resource for mortgage questions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.