Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
-The greater the consumer brand, the better...

I thought I'd take a shot at the toughest one first.

In general, I think that the biotech industry has not matured to the point of where consumer brands will emerge. The technology is too abstract and too immature to have any consumer brand appeal that I can see. The average consumer isn't a customer for a Celera product yet and won't be for years. I don't think that we should blindly discount the biotech space for Rule Breakers simply because there are no strong consumer brands here.

When I think about the future, it is possible that Celera will become a consumer service. I'm making a bit of a stretch here, but Rule-Breaking investing is about focusing on the future. From the S-4/A:

PERSONALIZED MEDICINE. The Celera Genomics group expects that genomic information will be used to develop molecular diagnostic tests to identify the genetic make-up of individuals. These diagnostic tests will contribute to a more personalized approach to medicine. For example, there are many types of cancer that have similar symptoms. Because these symptoms may be similar between one genetic type of cancer and another, it may be important to discriminate between the actual type of disease rather than just the symptoms in prescribing an effective treatment. It is believed that rather than prescribing a drug based solely on symptoms, physicians will be able to use a molecular diagnostic test to help select the most effective drug with the minimum number of side effects.
As a result, this approach should benefit the patient with more customized care, reduced illness length, and ultimately, better treatment results.

In some ways, it is forseeable that the physician's role may not be necessary. Can you imagine a world where people send a monthly DNA sample to Celera? Imagine getting your monthly "wellness report" from Celera's analysis of your DNA, aging process, etc. Would a physician only be necessary when problems are discovered?

Again, a big, big leap here. But if this sort of service does emerge, I would expect a Rule-Breaking company like Celera to create it. It will be interesting to see what sort of consumer brands do emerge in this space.

Kevin
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.