Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
[[ We were too wise and overpaid our 98 taxes by $5000. Because we moved
overseas in '98, we've gotten extensions to meet the physical presence test for
the foreign income exclusion, meaning we won't actually be filing our '98 return
until September 99. But we owe estimated taxes for '99.]]

Ok...

[[ Our tax person here in HK says we don't need to meet the quarterly estimated
tax payment schedule as long as the IRS has our excess banked and that excess
is more than what our payments would be. In other words, say we owe $7,000
in estimated taxes for '99. She says we can skip the April 15 and July 15
payments. Just ignore them. Come October, we pay $250, and we'll owe
$1750 for Jan. 15 2000.]]

Correct...

[[ Does this sound right to y'all? ]]

Absolutely correct. I don't know if I would want Uncle Sammy to hold my money for almost nine months, but it is technically correct. You can, instead, apply only $1,750 to your first quarter estimate, have the remainder refunded, and pay your next three quarters as they are due.

[[I mean, since the IRS won't know it has an excess
for us until we file in Sept., can we be penalized for skipping our estimated tax
payments?]]

I see...you don't plan on filing until much later. Regardless, it's still correct.

[[ Do we owe the IRS some kind of notification or something? This all
strikes me as a bit too laissez faire...]]

No notification is required. When you finally file your tax return, you'll show the overpayment as being applied to your 1999 estimated taxes. That is the only reporting that you really need to do.

TMF Taxes
Roy
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.