Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
… What would be a more productive investment than CDs for stability in my portfolio?…

You plan sounds pretty good and I would assume that you will be keeping a close eye on your withdrawal rates to not get yourself into trouble and not get too conservative too young since there is a pretty good chance that at least one of you will live into your 90's.

I am not sure if any of these would be right for you but you should also take a look at these as an alternative to CD's for that part of you portfolio.

I-bonds

TIPS

A ladder of short to medium bonds. Individual bonds held to maturity act much differently than a bond mutual fund.

Preferred stocks

Paying off your mortgage if you have one.
------------------
You might also want to review how much international exposure you have in your portfolio. A lot of people are concerned about the dollar and some international exposure would be good.

You might want to also think of ways that you can have a second career that allows you to be paid to travel. I read an article a while back about a couple that had a second career filling in for Bed and Breakfast owners that wanted to take some time off. Apparently in some locations it was real difficult for B&B owners to find QUALIFIED people to fill in for them so they often they ended up shutting down their B&B's when they needed to take some time off. This couple spent the time to get properly trained and several times a year times a year they filled in at a B&B and got a place to stay and some modest pay.

Who knows, with your background in geriatrics your might be able to find a travel related job with older travelers.

Greg
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.